Thank you for trying to help. I feel that I did not explain my issue well. I tried this: emacs -Q -l test.el With test.el having the code. What I get is two emacs frames. The main frame is on *scratch* buffer, and the other frame is just a miniframe. If I focus the miniframe I get the 'Select:' prompt, no options are shown. I expect to see a list of vertical options but they only show if I press tab. In this case they show in the other window, because that is the vanilla behavior in emacs, but In my version I have the completion directly in the minibuffer. In both cases, my configuration and emacs -Q, the options do not show right away, which means that I have to actively press Tab to show them. My question is: How do I show the options without having to press Tab? I would like to see them listed as soon as the minibuffer shows up. This happens in the same frame in my config, but it does not happen if I create a new frame. Here is more info: OS: Arch Linux Emacs: 28.2 WM: Sway 1.8.1 On Mon, May 1, 2023 at 8:24 AM Platon Pronko wrote: > On 2023-04-30 17:44, MaGelan wrote: > > Hi, > > > > This is the first time I post on newsgroups so please forgive me if I > > am overlooking something and let me know if I break rules. > > > > I have been using Emacs for a year now and I am starting to integrate it > > more and more in my workflow. I am still learning elisp so please bear > > with me because I have a programming issue. > > > > I do not understand how to make the completing-read function work > > properly in a new frame. Whenever I start completing-read in a new frame > > what happens is that I do not see the options right away. I have to > > either press SPC or a input a character and delete it in order to force > > the refresh of the minibuffer and display the options. Here is an > > example that should work on any configuration: > > > > > > (defun test-miniframe-completing-read () > > "Test miniframe completing read" > > (interactive) > > (with-selected-frame (make-frame '((name . "emacs-miniframe") > > (minibuffer . only) > > (width . 120) > > (height . 33))) > > (unwind-protect > > (let ((choices '("first" "second" "third"))) > > (completing-read "Select: " choices)) > > (delete-frame)))) > > > > (test-miniframe-completing-read) > > > > > > I am using consult/vertico/orderless framework but my understanding is > > that the completing-read is an independent function. I did notice though > > that the consult-buffer when started with: > > > > emacsclient -c -e '(consult-buffer)' > > > > has the same problem. The buffer selection is not shown right away. > > > > I tried to use C-h f and inspect the function but, apparently, it is a C > > function. So, I do not know how to proceed further here. How do I make > > this code work properly both in new frames and in the existing one? > > > > Thank you very much for any help! > > > > Hi! > > Your test function works for me, choices are shown immediately. Can you > provide more details? (your Emacs version, OS used) > > Try starting your emacs in "clean" mode: > > emacs -Q -l test.el > > (test.el contains the minimized setups code, i.e. relevant parts of > init.el and test-miniframe-completing-read defun) > > This way it will be possible to get a reproducible test case. > > > I suspect the issue is there's some error or warning, in which case > there's a message shown in one of minibuffers for couple seconds, and that > delays completing-read. > > -- > Best regards, > Platon Pronko > PGP 2A62D77A7A2CB94E > >