On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 4:46 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote: > >>> There should be an easy way to find out the license information and > >> Why? > > Some people (like me) are picky about the license terms of software that > > they download, especially in source form. > > Give me some examples of Elisp packages where that would be useful. > Any package is a potential example. I’m not sure what you’re looking for here, and I don’t suppose you want an arbitrary list of the first 50 packages listed at MELPA. If you could explain what you’re after maybe I could say something useful. > >>> other metadata about a package before installing it. > >> Which other metadata? > > For example, a package's home page, author, maybe date of last update, > etc. > > The home page is already available, AFAIK. Author/maintainer could > be provided. Date of last update is generally not kept (tho in > elpa.gnu.org/packages you can indeed see it, tho it's really the date > at which the tarball was created). > > I think the better option is to let the user separate the "download" and > "install" steps so she can look at those extra info before installing. That won’t help people whose employers have specific rules restricting the license terms of code that may be *downloaded to the employers’ machines* without prior approval. -- Dave Abrahams