all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Is there a setting that makes emacs begin editing the init.el file on startup?
@ 2018-01-04 17:40 Jonathon McKitrick
From: Jonathon McKitrick @ 2018-01-04 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm consolidating my configs across machines, and now every time I start the machine, instead of getting the empty scratch buffer, I see my init.el.

I've experimented with the 'inhibit' settings for startup messages, but nothing is getting me back to the blank scratch buffer.

* Re: Is there a setting that makes emacs begin editing the init.el file on startup?
@ 2018-01-04 18:32 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2018-01-04 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> I'm consolidating my configs across machines,
> and now every time I start the machine, instead
> of getting the empty scratch buffer, I see my
> init.el.

This happens because of something you did while
"consolidating configs across machines". (One
way to do that BTW is to have one file and the
push it across the system.)

Are you still invoking Emacs the standard way
or do you pass it any creative arguments?

If no, start examining the init files. If what
you see first thing is init.el, then search
your init files for any references to
that file.

> I've experimented with the 'inhibit' settings
> for startup messages, but nothing is getting me
> back to the blank scratch buffer.

Well, you can get to it manually but you
shouldn't have to.

This

    $ emacs -Q -eval '(setq inhibit-startup-screen t)'

should get you to the scratch buffer.
Any problems for normal invocation are in your
init files. Do a "binary search" (comment-out
in halfs over and over to locate the error) if
need be.

BTW here is what I do - but that's the other
way around, as I don't want the scratch
buffer :)

;; no fanfare / init
(setq inhibit-startup-screen t)
(setq inhibit-startup-echo-area-message "incal")
(setq byte-compile-verbose nil)

;; scratch buffer
(setq initial-scratch-message nil)
(kill-buffer "*scratch*")

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: Is there a setting that makes emacs begin editing the init.el file on startup?
@ 2018-01-05 13:40 ` Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2018-01-05 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathon McKitrick; +Cc: emacs

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 12:40 PM, Jonathon McKitrick <jmckitrick@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm consolidating my configs across machines, and now every time I start
> the machine, instead of getting the empty scratch buffer, I see my init.el.

The only thing that I'm aware of that edits the init.el file is an explicit
reference to it. So I'd search your init file for any reference to init.el
and the cause should become clear pretty quickly.

Of course there may be something I'm unaware of that magically finds the
init file, so your YMMV.

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.

https://blog.twonegatives.com
https://five.sentenc.es

* Re: Is there a setting that makes emacs begin editing the init.el file on startup?
@ 2018-01-05 13:46   ` jmckitrick
From: jmckitrick @ 2018-01-05 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Visher; +Cc: emacs

It was my mistake. I have a function that edits the init file, and somehow
one of the sexps escaped and was being evaluated directly on startup. Thus,
the file appearing.

--
Jonathon McKitrick

* Re: Is there a setting that makes emacs begin editing the init.el file on startup?
@ 2018-01-05 13:50     ` Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2018-01-05 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathon McKitrick; +Cc: emacs

On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 8:46 AM, <jmckitrick@gmail.com> wrote:

> It was my mistake. I have a function that edits the init file, and somehow
> one of the sexps escaped and was being evaluated directly on startup. Thus,
> the file appearing.

Sounds about right. :)