all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* What do I do after installing csv-mode with elpa?
@ 2013-05-11 17:20 bsamek
From: bsamek @ 2013-05-11 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

I've installed csv-mode with 'M-x list-packages' and typing 'i x' at
csv-mode. It's now listed as installed. However, it's not available with
'M-x csv-mode'. Is there an ELPA-specific way of making an installed package
available that I'm missing? The variable package-enable-at-startup is t.

* Re: What do I do after installing csv-mode with elpa?
@ 2013-05-12 19:05 ` Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2013-05-12 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bsamek; +Cc: emacs

Hi Brian,

On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 1:20 PM, bsamek <brian.samek@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've installed csv-mode with 'M-x list-packages' and typing 'i x' at
> csv-mode. It's now listed as installed. However, it's not available with
> 'M-x csv-mode'. Is there an ELPA-specific way of making an installed package
> available that I'm missing? The variable package-enable-at-startup is t.

Looks like 1.5.0 (which is the version I get when installing csv-mode
from package.el) has a coding error. Unbalanced parens at line 1134.
My package install showed that with error text like:

    Compiling file …/.emacs.d/elpa/csv-mode-1.50/csv-mode-pkg.el at
Sun May 12 14:58:58 2013
    Entering directory `…/.emacs.d/elpa/csv-mode-1.50/'
    Error: Unmatched bracket or quote

Which yours may or may not have done as well.

Anyway, this is after the mode definition in `csv-mode.el` so while
there's definitely something wrong with that file, I am still able to
find a `.csv` file and have it automatically load up csv mode.
Obviously functionality defined after the coding error will not work
as it won't have loaded.

Contact the maintainer or maybe open a patch up? Should be an easy fix.

Hope this points you down the right path!

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.

http://blog.twonegatives.com/
http://five.sentenc.es/ -- Spend less time on mail

* Re: What do I do after installing csv-mode with elpa?
@ 2013-05-13 18:34   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-05-13 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Looks like 1.5.0 (which is the version I get when installing csv-mode
> from package.el) has a coding error. Unbalanced parens at line 1134.
> My package install showed that with error text like:

>     Compiling file …/.emacs.d/elpa/csv-mode-1.50/csv-mode-pkg.el at
> Sun May 12 14:58:58 2013
>     Entering directory `…/.emacs.d/elpa/csv-mode-1.50/'
>     Error: Unmatched bracket or quote

Hmm... 1.5.0?  1.50?  The one we have in GNU ELPA is 1.2.
Where did you get yours?

* Re: What do I do after installing csv-mode with elpa?
@ 2013-05-13 19:08     ` Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2013-05-13 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 2:34 PM, Stefan Monnier
<monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>> Looks like 1.5.0 (which is the version I get when installing csv-mode
>> from package.el) has a coding error. Unbalanced parens at line 1134.
>> My package install showed that with error text like:
>
>>     Compiling file …/.emacs.d/elpa/csv-mode-1.50/csv-mode-pkg.el at
>> Sun May 12 14:58:58 2013
>>     Entering directory `…/.emacs.d/elpa/csv-mode-1.50/'
>>     Error: Unmatched bracket or quote
>
> Hmm... 1.5.0?  1.50?  The one we have in GNU ELPA is 1.2.
> Where did you get yours?

Looks like [Marmalade][1].

And, yep. 1.5.0 was a typo. :)

[1]: http://marmalade-repo.org/packages/csv-mode

--

@ 2013-05-13 19:38       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-05-13 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Looks like [Marmalade][1].
> And, yep. 1.5.0 was a typo. :)
> [1]: http://marmalade-repo.org/packages/csv-mode

That looks like an old version.  No idea why they chose such
a revision number.

* Re: What do I do after installing csv-mode with elpa?
@ 2013-05-13 19:52         ` Tim Visher
       [not found]           ` <mailman.25682.1368475082.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tim Visher @ 2013-05-13 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 3:38 PM, Stefan Monnier
<monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>> Looks like [Marmalade][1].
>> And, yep. 1.5.0 was a typo. :)
>> [1]: http://marmalade-repo.org/packages/csv-mode
>
> That looks like an old version.  No idea why they chose such
> a revision number.

Ah the joys of ELPA…

No response so far from the OP.

@bsamek: did you add marmalade to the list of repos as is suggested by
many of the `getting started with emacs` tutorials these days?

--

@ 2013-05-13 19:57           ` bsamek
       [not found]           ` <mailman.25682.1368475082.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: bsamek @ 2013-05-13 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

I'm embarrassed to say that my problem was more trivial than that. I wasn't
copying the full forms to be evaluated from the installation lines in
csv-mode.el.

@ 2013-05-16  3:19             ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-05-16  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I'm embarrassed to say that my problem was more trivial than that. I wasn't
> copying the full forms to be evaluated from the installation lines in
> csv-mode.el.

The GNU ELPA package does not require any such thing, since it's done as
part of installing the package (it's one of the reasons to use
a package manager).