On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 11:51 AM Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > > I assume you meant `tty-color-mode-alist'. > > No, I meant the value returned by tty-color-alist, which is stored in > the variable tty-defined-color-alist. Aha! As Emily Litella says, "That's quite different" :-) So I added some "message" calls, as described by the attached patch. Here's what I see in *Messages* after simply running `emacs -Q`: terminal-init-xterm doin’ its thang. (tty-color-alist) returns a list of length 8. terminal-init-xterm is done. (tty-color-alist) now returns a list of length 256. For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a. And here's what I see after I create the new frame: You can run the command ‘server-start’ with M-x ser-s RET terminal-init-xterm doin’ its thang. (tty-color-alist) returns a list of length 256. terminal-init-xterm is done. (tty-color-alist) now returns a list of length 8. When done with this frame, type C-x 5 0 So clearly: xterm.el initialization _is_ getting called for the client frame, and it _does_ modify tty-color-alist. I've put the actual before-and-after values returned from `(tty-color-alist)' into a second attachment, since the "before" value is quite long.