all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Indent one level deeper rather than smart indent?
@ 2013-03-22 16:06 Andrew Pennebaker
From: Andrew Pennebaker @ 2013-03-22 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Help

When in markdown-mode, I would like to disable smart indent. Instead, when
I highlight a block of code and press TAB, I would like the block to be
indented one level deeper, like how Sublime does it.

What goes in my ~/.emacs to achieve this?

--
Cheers,

Andrew Pennebaker
www.yellosoft.us

* Re: Indent one level deeper rather than smart indent?
@ 2013-03-22 20:12 ` Aleš Bizjak
From: Aleš Bizjak @ 2013-03-22 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Pennebaker; +Cc: Emacs Help

On 22 March 2013 17:06, Andrew Pennebaker <andrew.pennebaker@gmail.com>wrote:

> When in markdown-mode, I would like to disable smart indent. Instead, when
> I highlight a block of code and press TAB, I would like the block to be
> indented one level deeper, like how Sublime does it.
>
> What goes in my ~/.emacs to achieve this?

Which markdown-mode are you using? If the one at
http://jblevins.org/projects/markdown-mode/ then I think something like

(defadvice markdown-cycle (around indent-active-region-rigidly (&optional
arg shift) activate)
  (if (use-region-p)
      (save-excursion
        (let ((rb (region-beginning))
              (re (region-end)))
          (goto-char rb)
          (beginning-of-line)
          (indent-rigidly (point)
                          re
                          (if shift (- tab-width) tab-width))
          (setq deactivate-mark nil)))
    ad-do-it))

should do it. If you don't have an active region TAB will behave the same
as before, but if you have an active region, it will indent the whole
region for tab-width. I have never used sublime-text so I don't know
whether this is what you actually want. If you always want to indent and
never want to cycle the visibility then the solution is simpler.

If you want Shift+TAB to indent regions to the left then also put

(add-hook 'markdown-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (fset 'markdown-shifttab
                  (lambda ()
                    (interactive)
                    (markdown-cycle t t)))))

into your .emacs.

-- Cheers, Aleš

* Re: Indent one level deeper rather than smart indent?
@ 2013-03-26 13:18   ` Andrew Pennebaker
From: Andrew Pennebaker @ 2013-03-26 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Help