all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Andrew Pennebaker <andrew.pennebaker@gmail.com>
To: "help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org" <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
	david+emacsformacosx@porkrind.org
Subject: Re: Can't insert curly brace for string interpolation in ruby-mode
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 00:32:51 -0400	[thread overview]

With help from #macdev, I was finally able to write a more sophisticated
Emacs shell script. If you download
https://github.com/mcandre/dotfiles/blob/master/emacs.sh and soft link it
as /usr/bin/emacs, it allows you to launch emacs from a terminal as a GUI
app, or a pure command line ncurses app, by properly responding to the
various emacs command line options.

I'm fairly demanding of my programs, so I hassled a few communities to help
the shell script meet a lot of constraints. The dependencies are Emacs for
Mac OS X, bash, and Mac OS X, though conceivably the script could be ported
to Aquamacs or Homebrew Emacs.

The emacs shell script will work with a file to open, without a file to
open, with and without other command line arguments such as -Q, --version,
and --help, and files and command line flags can be passed to emacs in
arbitrary order (${1+"$@"}).

In GUI mode, Emacs will release control from the shell; you can keep
entering commands in the terminal that Emacs was launched from without
having to background the process with Control+Z. Emacs does not die with
the shell, if you happen to close the terminal (nohup).

Emacs will open in the foreground, not behind the terminal (osascript).

Emacs will not interrupt your terminal experience with stdout messages (>
/dev/null).

If you do use the -nw flag, emacs will open inside the terminal in curses
mode.

--
Cheers,

Andrew Pennebaker