all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Having vc mode recognize file under git version control
@ 2011-08-09 23:59 Laird Nelson
From: Laird Nelson @ 2011-08-09 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have a git repository that I created with git init.  (Warning: I am a git
newbie.)

I have committed several files in this directory.

When I open them in Emacs and attempt to use the keystrokes that I am used
to with vc-mode with Subversion, Emacs tells me that effectively these files
are not under version control.

"Git" is listed as one of the vc-handled-backends.

How do I hypnotize emacs into realizing that yes, in fact these files *are*
under version control, namely git?

Emacs version: GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS
apple-appkit-1038.35) of 2011-03-09 on black.porkrind.org

Git version:

$ git version
git version 1.7.5.1

Would git's being absent from Emacs' path be responsible for this?  I'm on
Mac OSX Snow Leopard.

Best,
Laird

* Re: Having vc mode recognize file under git version control
@ 2011-08-10 16:53 ` Vijay Lakshminarayanan
From: Vijay Lakshminarayanan @ 2011-08-10 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laird Nelson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Laird Nelson <ljnelson@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Laird

> I have a git repository that I created with git init.  (Warning: I am
> a git newbie.)
>
> I have committed several files in this directory.
>
> When I open them in Emacs and attempt to use the keystrokes that I am
> used to with vc-mode with Subversion, Emacs tells me that effectively
> these files are not under version control.
>
> "Git" is listed as one of the vc-handled-backends.
>
> How do I hypnotize emacs into realizing that yes, in fact these files
> *are* under version control, namely git?
>
> Emacs version: GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS
> apple-appkit-1038.35) of 2011-03-09 on black.porkrind.org
>
> Git version:
>
> $ git version
> git version 1.7.5.1
>
> Would git's being absent from Emacs' path be responsible for this?
> I'm on Mac OSX Snow Leopard.

Yes, that is the reason Emacs isn't picking up git and enabling vc on
the page.

--
Cheers
~vijay

Gnus should be more complicated.

* Re: Having vc mode recognize file under git version control
@ 2011-08-10 17:05   ` Laird Nelson
From: Laird Nelson @ 2011-08-10 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 12:53 PM, Vijay Lakshminarayanan
<laksvij@gmail.com>wrote:

> > Would git's being absent from Emacs' path be responsible for this?
> Yes, that is the reason Emacs isn't picking up git and enabling vc on
> the page.

Thanks; I figured it would only be looking for a .git directory or something
similar, not making a determination of whether something is under version
control based solely on the path.  Don't get me wrong; I'm sure there is a
good reason.  It would have helped to see a message in the status bar.
Thanks again for your help.

@ 2011-08-11  6:22     ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-08-11  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Laird Nelson <ljnelson@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 12:53 PM, Vijay Lakshminarayanan <
> laksvij@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     > Would git's being absent from Emacs' path be responsible for
>     this?
>     Yes, that is the reason Emacs isn't picking up git and enabling
>     vc on
>     the page.
>

> Thanks; I figured it would only be looking for a .git directory or
> something similar, not making a determination of whether something is
> under version control based solely on the path.  Don't get me wrong;
> I'm sure there is a good reason.  It would have helped to see a
> message in the status bar.  Thanks again for your help.

The reason is that if its not on the path it cant use the git
executable..

* Re: Having vc mode recognize file under git version control
@ 2011-08-11 11:36       ` Laird Nelson
From: Laird Nelson @ 2011-08-11 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 2:22 AM, Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com>wrote:

> The reason is that if its not on the path it cant use the git
> executable..

No, I got that part--but surely it could tell me that it recognized that the
file was under Git version control, even if it knew that it couldn't
actually *act* on the file?  Minor point; I got it working.

Best,
Laird

* Having vc mode recognize file under git version control
@ 2011-08-11 16:53         ` PJ Weisberg
From: PJ Weisberg @ 2011-08-11 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laird Nelson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On Thursday, August 11, 2011, Laird Nelson <ljnelson@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 2:22 AM, Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com>
wrote:

>> The reason is that if its not on the path it cant use the git
>> executable..
>
> No, I got that part--but surely it could tell me that it recognized that
the file was under Git version control, even if it knew that it couldn't
actually *act* on the file?  Minor point; I got it working.

Debatable.  There's nothing in the .git directory that makes it clear which
files are tracked or untracked without running git.  And if you actually
didn't have Git on your system, then you probably wouldn't be using it to
track files.

--

-PJ

* Re: Having vc mode recognize file under git version control
@ 2011-08-12  6:15 ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2011-08-12  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 10.08.2011 01:59, schrieb Laird Nelson:
> I have a git repository that I created with git init.  (Warning: I am a git
> newbie.)

Strategically I'll recommend using git from an emacs shell first, before
starting with the backend.

If you have three error possibilities at once --git user error, backend
bug, git bug-- it's hard to track.

If you can exclude any mistake from Emacs backend first, you'll get
faster into probably.

Andreas