You are right, I had my ~/.emacs.d in the load-path. I removed it as my first step to resolve this issue, but then I thought that even if it were in the load-path, returning the path to a file without a valid library extension is an unexpected behavior for locate-library. On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 10:37 AM, Glenn Morris wrote: > Alex Kosorukoff wrote: > > > I found this issue because (locate-library "tramp") was returning > > "/home/alex/.emacs.d/trump" not "../lisp/net/trum.elc". > > I assume there are some typos there... > > Anyway, sounds like you have your ~/.emacs.d directory in load-path? > You are strongly encouraged not to do that. > Newer Emacs will in fact warn you about it. > Because you can get problems just like this one! :) >