all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Scroll on save
       [not found] <20200713223521.jbjgmzyxxp2w45ot.ref@Ergus>
@ 2020-07-13 22:35 ` Ergus
From: Ergus @ 2020-07-13 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi:

Recently I have observed that when I save long files (C-x C-s) (either
in a C file or Latex); for some reason emacs scrolls to some different
place in the buffer. I am pretty sure that it should has to do with my
config, but I don't know where to start looking for the problem.

Does anyone has an idea or similar experience in the past? Any help to
solve it will be fine.

Thanks in advance,
Ergus.

* Re: Scroll on save
@ 2020-07-13 22:38   ` Narendra Joshi
From: Narendra Joshi @ 2020-07-13 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would recommend that you check the values for after-save-hook and
before-save-hook.

On Tue, 14 Jul 2020, 00:35 Ergus, <spacibba@aol.com> wrote:

> Hi:
>
> Recently I have observed that when I save long files (C-x C-s) (either
> in a C file or Latex); for some reason emacs scrolls to some different
> place in the buffer. I am pretty sure that it should has to do with my
> config, but I don't know where to start looking for the problem.
>
> Does anyone has an idea or similar experience in the past? Any help to
> solve it will be fine.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Ergus.

* Re: Scroll on save
@ 2020-07-13 22:39     ` Narendra Joshi
From: Narendra Joshi @ 2020-07-13 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Checking the value of these hooks would reveal what code is being executed
when you save a file.

On Tue, 14 Jul 2020, 00:38 Narendra Joshi, <narendraj9@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would recommend that you check the values for after-save-hook and
> before-save-hook.
>
> On Tue, 14 Jul 2020, 00:35 Ergus, <spacibba@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi:
>>
>> Recently I have observed that when I save long files (C-x C-s) (either
>> in a C file or Latex); for some reason emacs scrolls to some different
>> place in the buffer. I am pretty sure that it should has to do with my
>> config, but I don't know where to start looking for the problem.
>>
>> Does anyone has an idea or similar experience in the past? Any help to
>> solve it will be fine.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Ergus.

* Re: Scroll on save
@ 2020-07-13 23:00   ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2020-07-13 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ergus <spacibba@aol.com> writes:

> Recently I have observed that when I save long files (C-x C-s) (either
> in a C file or Latex); for some reason emacs scrolls to some different
> place in the buffer. I am pretty sure that it should has to do with my
> config, but I don't know where to start looking for the problem.
>
> Does anyone has an idea or similar experience in the past? Any help to
> solve it will be fine.

Bisect your .emacs:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/23772890/how-to-find-a-bug-in-emacs-or-init-el

* Re: Scroll on save
@ 2020-07-14 10:32     ` Ergus
From: Ergus @ 2020-07-14 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is weird, because both hooks are nil. And the problem starts
randomly after some time without apparent reason.

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 12:38:05AM +0200, Narendra Joshi wrote:
>I would recommend that you check the values for after-save-hook and
>before-save-hook.
>
>On Tue, 14 Jul 2020, 00:35 Ergus, <spacibba@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi:
>>
>> Recently I have observed that when I save long files (C-x C-s) (either
>> in a C file or Latex); for some reason emacs scrolls to some different
>> place in the buffer. I am pretty sure that it should has to do with my
>> config, but I don't know where to start looking for the problem.
>>
>> Does anyone has an idea or similar experience in the past? Any help to
>> solve it will be fine.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Ergus.

* Re: Scroll on save
@ 2020-07-14 10:34     ` Ergus
From: Ergus @ 2020-07-14 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Óscar Fuentes; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Oscar:

I already tried that. The problem is that the problem starts after some
time editing. And I don't find a pattern to reproduce it in a systematic
way.

@ 2020-07-14 12:26       ` Tomas Nordin
From: Tomas Nordin @ 2020-07-14 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ergus, Óscar Fuentes; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Ergus <spacibba@aol.com> writes:

> Hi Oscar:
>
> I already tried that. The problem is that the problem starts after some
> time editing. And I don't find a pattern to reproduce it in a systematic
> way.

With no proof or recipe, I thought I experienced something similar. I'm
saving a lot and maybe it was connected to that, but my experience was
that when swapping buffers and coming back to one, point was on some
other location relative my memory. This was coming back to a Python
buffer and using Eglot. I somehow connected it to the LSP/xref things or
just me being confused.

--
Tomas

* Re: Scroll on save
@ 2020-07-14 16:13       ` Narendra Joshi
From: Narendra Joshi @ 2020-07-14 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ergus <spacibba@aol.com> writes:

The next thing that I would try is using the command `profiler-start`
just before saving the buffer and then `profiler-report` after saving
the buffer to narrow your search down to a couple of functions that
might be causing this. I am not sure if this would actually help but
worth trying.

--
Narendra Joshi

* Re: Scroll on save