all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs 24.5 on Windows?
@ 2015-04-29 16:26 Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2015-04-29 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/

There are MS Windows binaries going back to Emacs 22.3 (2008), but nothing
later than 24.4.  Emacs 24.5 was released several weeks ago.  Any chance
for a Windows binary of 24.5?

* Re: Emacs 24.5 on Windows?
@ 2015-04-29 16:54 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-04-29 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 09:26:47 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com>
>
> https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/
>
> There are MS Windows binaries going back to Emacs 22.3 (2008), but nothing
> later than 24.4.  Emacs 24.5 was released several weeks ago.  Any chance
> for a Windows binary of 24.5?

See http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2015-04/msg00646.html.

* Re: Emacs 24.5 on Windows?
@ 2015-05-01  8:44   ` Dani Moncayo
From: Dani Moncayo @ 2015-05-01  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: Emacs development discussions

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 6:54 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 09:26:47 -0700 (PDT)
>> From: Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com>
>>
>> https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/
>>
>> There are MS Windows binaries going back to Emacs 22.3 (2008), but nothing
>> later than 24.4.  Emacs 24.5 was released several weeks ago.  Any chance
>> for a Windows binary of 24.5?
>
> See http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2015-04/msg00646.html.

As I've just said in the above thread:

A binary package for MS-Windows of Emacs 24.5 is now available.

You can retrieve it from your nearest GNU mirror:
  http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/emacs/windows

Or choose a mirror explicitly from the list at:
  http://www.gnu.org/prep/ftp.html

Mirrors may take some time to update; this is the link to the main GNU
ftp server:
  http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows

--
Dani Moncayo

* Re: Emacs 24.5 on Windows?
@ 2015-05-01  9:33     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-05-01  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Dani Moncayo; +Cc: drew.adams, emacs-devel

> Date: Fri, 1 May 2015 10:44:52 +0200
> From: Dani Moncayo <dmoncayo@gmail.com>
> Cc: Emacs development discussions <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 6:54 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> >> Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 09:26:47 -0700 (PDT)
> >> From: Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com>
> >>
> >> https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/
> >>
> >> There are MS Windows binaries going back to Emacs 22.3 (2008), but nothing
> >> later than 24.4.  Emacs 24.5 was released several weeks ago.  Any chance
> >> for a Windows binary of 24.5?
> >
> > See http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2015-04/msg00646.html.
>
> As I've just said in the above thread:
>
> A binary package for MS-Windows of Emacs 24.5 is now available.

Thank you!

* Re: Emacs 24.5 on Windows?
@ 2015-05-01 10:58       ` Dani Moncayo
From: Dani Moncayo @ 2015-05-01 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Emacs development discussions

Hi Eli,

I've just realized that I didn't put a copy of 'libXpm.dll' in the
emacs-24.5-bin package.

Do you think it's worth uploading the package again with the above DLL
bundled, or perphaps upload the DLL as a new, separate package?
(FWIW, the second option seems cleaner to me; the library is optional
for emacs and is developed separately from it)

Also, I've noticed that the last version of that library seems to be
3.5.11 (see [1]), which is newer that the last version published in
the emacs/windows folder [2], which is 3.5.8.  So I've tried to build
version 3.5.11 (downloaded from [1]) from the same MinGW environment I
use to build Emacs; but it fails like this:

  $ ./autogen.sh
  autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
  autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Gettext
  autoreconf: running: aclocal -I m4
  configure.ac:17: error: must install xorg-macros 1.8 or later before
running autoconf/autogen
  configure.ac:17: the top level
  autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
  aclocal-1.15: error: echo failed with exit status: 1
  autoreconf: aclocal failed with exit status: 1

However, I can build version 3.5.8 (from [2]) just fine (from the same
build environment):

  $ cd src
  $ make
  gcc -shared -o libXpm.dll  libXpm.def Attrib.o create.o data.o
    CrIFrBuf.o hashtab.o Image.o Info.o misc.o parse.o
    RdFToI.o rgb.o simx.o -lgdi32 -lcrtdll

Should we try to build version 3.5.11 or settle for v3.5.8?  If the
former, do you know how to build that version of the library for
MS-Windows?

TIA

----
[1] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/lib/libXpm
[2] ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/

--
Dani Moncayo

* Re: Emacs 24.5 on Windows?
@ 2015-05-01 13:08         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-05-01 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Dani Moncayo; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Fri, 1 May 2015 12:58:37 +0200
> From: Dani Moncayo <dmoncayo@gmail.com>
> Cc: Emacs development discussions <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> I've just realized that I didn't put a copy of 'libXpm.dll' in the
> emacs-24.5-bin package.
>
> Do you think it's worth uploading the package again with the above DLL
> bundled, or perphaps upload the DLL as a new, separate package?
> (FWIW, the second option seems cleaner to me; the library is optional
> for emacs and is developed separately from it)

It's up to you.  The downside of the separate upload is that people
will need to be told to download the second archive, and relied upon
to read those instructions.  But we could try that and see how many
people complain about colors missing from their tool bar.

> Also, I've noticed that the last version of that library seems to be
> 3.5.11 (see [1]), which is newer that the last version published in
> the emacs/windows folder [2], which is 3.5.8.  So I've tried to build
> version 3.5.11 (downloaded from [1]) from the same MinGW environment I
> use to build Emacs; but it fails like this:
>
>   $ ./autogen.sh
>   autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
>   autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Gettext
>   autoreconf: running: aclocal -I m4
>   configure.ac:17: error: must install xorg-macros 1.8 or later before
> running autoconf/autogen
>   configure.ac:17: the top level
>   autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
>   aclocal-1.15: error: echo failed with exit status: 1
>   autoreconf: aclocal failed with exit status: 1

It needs to be hacked to build on Windows, because it originally
assumed X Window system only.

> However, I can build version 3.5.8 (from [2]) just fine (from the same
> build environment):
>
>   $ cd src
>   $ make
>   gcc -shared -o libXpm.dll  libXpm.def Attrib.o create.o data.o
>     CrIFrBuf.o hashtab.o Image.o Info.o misc.o parse.o
>     RdFToI.o rgb.o simx.o -lgdi32 -lcrtdll

It's already hacked, look at the diffs.

> Should we try to build version 3.5.11 or settle for v3.5.8?  If the
> former, do you know how to build that version of the library for
> MS-Windows?

I don't have time to build the newer libXpm; if you do, please feel
free.  FWIW, I don't see a compelling need, except to have the latest
and perhaps submit patches upstream, so that future releases build on
Windows out of the box.

* Re: Emacs 24.5 on Windows?
@ 2015-05-01 13:56           ` Dani Moncayo
From: Dani Moncayo @ 2015-05-01 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Emacs development discussions

Hi Eli,

I've finally taken the quickest and more conservative approach: I've
replaced the package I uploaded this morning with another one which
have libXpm.dll (v3.5.8) bundled.

Thanks.

--
Dani Moncayo

* RE: Emacs 24.5 on Windows?
@ 2015-05-01 14:33     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2015-05-01 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Dani Moncayo; +Cc: Emacs development discussions

> A binary package for MS-Windows of Emacs 24.5 is now available.

Thanks, Dani!