Chad, this is an excellent reply. Thanks, -pmr On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 5:42 PM, chad wrote: > NativeClient is mostly about using the local processor to cut out server > round-trips for computations. Unfortunately for your idea, it doesn't > address the idea of the display engine; native client nexe's are expected > to use the browser's ui. There is some experimental 3D support for nexe's > via their alternative to NSAPI, but this is far enough away from Emacs that > a port would be complex. For your goals, I'd guess that xembed (ala the > xembed branch) is an easier practical path to a prototype. > > This idea, like Tom Tromey's `rebase emacs on Common Lisp', Steve's `Emacs > in JavaScript', and the various Guilemacs attempts point out (yet again) > something I would not have guessed when I started with emacs ~22 years ago: > while the most technically valuable piece of Emacs (aside from its freedom) > is the extensive libraries of elisp code, the most critical piece is > actually the display engine. It's very hard to move Emacs anywhere that > the display engine won't go, and it seems to be very hard to move the > display engine. > > *Chad > > P.S. This makes the herculean efforts of things like epoch, multi-tty, and > bidi all the more impressive. Thanks again to all the wonderful emacs > hackers out there.