all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs, Mac OS X Yosemite and restarts after sleep
@ 2014-11-23 12:19 Paul Michael Reilly
From: Paul Michael Reilly @ 2014-11-23 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I recently upgraded to Yosemite (fresh install) on a 6 month old MacBook
Pro and noticed that upon being woken up after "sleep"ing, the system had
been restarted.  This led to a triage by Apple support where the logic
board was replaced.  Upon getting the system back I tested it again (sleep
needs to be in place for around an hour, at least) and got the same problem.

I should note that this problem did not occur at all while running
Mavericks and a devel build of Emacs 24.4 for the entire six months I had
the new computer.

At the time of the upgrade I also built a fresh devel copy of Emacs 25.
Not believing it was a hardware issue any longer I became suspicious that
it was a software issue in general and Emacs in particular.  So I ran a few
experiments.

First I brought up just Google Chrome and a few auto-started apps of no
import and let the system sleep for a few hours.  No restart after
subsequently waking the system up.  No Emacs, no problem.

Next I started up a freshly installed version of the 24.4 Mac build from
emacsformacosx.com and reran the experiment.  This time a restart occurred
after waking the system up.

The final test was to use Emacs 25 built around the time Eric announced the
git conversion ready for testing.  This test also failed.  Conclusion:
Emacs and Yosemite do not play nice together.

So I have two questions:  1) would someone with a recent model MacBook Pro,
running Yosemite and either Emacs 24.4 or 25.0.90 (fullscreen mode) please
run the experiment and report back your results; 2) can someone suggest
methods I can use to log relevant information on Emacs' termination or
maybe even a breakpoint (I'm inclined to use both if I can).  Of course all
other suggestions that will help triage this problem will be much
appreciated.  It appears to me that Apple has changed something in Yosemite
that would be good for them to know, not that that will lead to a solution
from them.  I expect that will come from us, once we understand if and why
Emacs is dying and bringing the system down with it.

Thanks,

-pmr

* Re: Emacs, Mac OS X Yosemite and restarts after sleep
@ 2014-11-23 16:30 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-11-23 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Michael Reilly; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 07:19:36 -0500
> From: Paul Michael Reilly <pmr@pajato.com>
>
> So I have two questions: 1) would someone with a recent model MacBook Pro,
> running Yosemite and either Emacs 24.4 or 25.0.90 (fullscreen mode) please run
> the experiment and report back your results; 2) can someone suggest methods I
> can use to log relevant information on Emacs' termination or maybe even a
> breakpoint (I'm inclined to use both if I can). Of course all other suggestions
> that will help triage this problem will be much appreciated. It appears to me
> that Apple has changed something in Yosemite that would be good for them to
> know, not that that will lead to a solution from them. I expect that will come
> from us, once we understand if and why Emacs is dying and bringing the system
> down with it.

Does the problem happen if you start Emacs as "emacs -Q"?

* Re: Emacs, Mac OS X Yosemite and restarts after sleep
@ 2014-11-24  1:51   ` Paul Michael Reilly
From: Paul Michael Reilly @ 2014-11-24  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 11:30 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 07:19:36 -0500
> > From: Paul Michael Reilly <pmr@pajato.com>
> >
> > So I have two questions: 1) would someone with a recent model MacBook
> Pro,
> > running Yosemite and either Emacs 24.4 or 25.0.90 (fullscreen mode)
> please run
> > the experiment and report back your results; 2) can someone suggest
> methods I
> > can use to log relevant information on Emacs' termination or maybe even a
> > breakpoint (I'm inclined to use both if I can). Of course all other
> suggestions
> > that will help triage this problem will be much appreciated. It appears
> to me
> > that Apple has changed something in Yosemite that would be good for them
> > know, not that that will lead to a solution from them. I expect that
> will come
> > from us, once we understand if and why Emacs is dying and bringing the
> system
> > down with it.
>
> Does the problem happen if you start Emacs as "emacs -Q"?

Good point (I confess I forgot to do this step ... been far too long since
I've triaged an Emacs problem) and yes, the problem does occur with both -q
and -Q.

* Re: Emacs, Mac OS X Yosemite and restarts after sleep
@ 2014-11-24  8:42 ` Harald Hanche-Olsen
From: Harald Hanche-Olsen @ 2014-11-24  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Michael Reilly; +Cc: emacs-devel

Paul Michael Reilly wrote:
> The final test was to use Emacs 25 built around the time Eric announced
> the git conversion ready for testing. This test also failed. Conclusion:
> Emacs and Yosemite do not play nice together.

That conclusion seems a bit strong: I am running emacs compiled straight
from the git repo on Yosemity with no problem. But perhaps I just don't
run into your particular circumstances.

> So I have two questions: 1) would someone with a recent model MacBook
> Pro, running Yosemite and either Emacs 24.4 or 25.0.90 (fullscreen mode)
> please run the experiment and report back your results;

Just to see if I have this straight, the proposed experiment is

1. Start emacs (with or without -Q)
2. Put it in “native” fullscreen mode (using the green button without
the Alt key)
3. Let the machine sleep for some hours
4. Wake the machine, watch emacs die and take the machine with it

I have two questions.

Is #2 essential? It does not crash if emacs is not in fullscreen mode
when you put the machine to sleep?

Is #3 essential? A sleep measured in minutes will not trigger the
problem? If so, debugging will be a drawn-out affair.

I have a macbook air (not pro), and it is not very recent, but I can run
this experiment anyhow, to see if I can get a crash.

> 2) can someone
> suggest methods I can use to log relevant information on Emacs'
> termination

Have you looked for a crashlog in ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/?
Other than that, I have no suggestions. You might try running it under
gdb, in a screen or tmux session with logging turned on. But since the
machine also crashes, there is a good chance that this happens before
any writing of log data can happen. But still, you should look in
/var/log/system.log and see if there is any hint to be had there.

– Harald

* Re: Emacs, Mac OS X Yosemite and restarts after sleep
@ 2014-11-24  8:51   ` Paul Michael Reilly
From: Paul Michael Reilly @ 2014-11-24  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harald Hanche-Olsen; +Cc: emacs-devel