all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ansi-term in EmacsForMac 26.1.2 on Macos slow when not in foreground
@ 2018-06-26 20:51 Matt Mello
From: Matt Mello @ 2018-06-26 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am running mpv, streaming music from the web.

When I run it in ansi-term, and when the frame is not in the foreground,
the music breaks off every few seconds, as though the performance of
emacs/mpv has been compromised.
Of course, as soon as I pull it to the front, it is fine, and so long as I
have it in front, it seems fine.

I can do the same thing in the Terminal or even inside of IntelliJ IDEA's
Terminal plugin.  When I run it in those, and when their window is in the
background, it still works smoothly.

I'm running EmacsForMac:
GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin14.5.0, NS appkit-1348.17
Version 10.10.5 (Build 14F2511)) of 2018-05-30
on macOS High Sierra 10.13.5.

So, since it works smoothly in Terminal and IDEA, it doesn't seem like the
issue is related to mpv.  But, it does seem related to emacs+ansi-term.

Any idea what I can do to make emacs+ansi-term not have this performance
issue when not in front/focus?

Thanks!
-- Matt

* Re: ansi-term in EmacsForMac 26.1.2 on Macos slow when not in foreground
@ 2018-06-27  6:33 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2018-06-27  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: ansi-term in EmacsForMac 26.1.2 on Macos slow when not in foreground
@ 2018-06-28 19:19 Matt Mello
From: Matt Mello @ 2018-06-28 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tomas,

Per my original question, the issue happens in `emacs.app`, but not in
`IntelliJ IDEA.app` or `Terminal.app`, which seems to indicate that even if
the OS is doing it, it is only doing it to emacs and not to the other apps,
so there must be something special (or not special) about emacs that would
cause that difference.

@ 2018-06-29  6:49 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2018-06-29  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs