all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Visual Line mode with no fringe indicators in 26.1
@ 2018-07-12 20:17 Matt Mello
From: Matt Mello @ 2018-07-12 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm having an issue where the fringe line continuation indicators are not
showing in emacs 26.1 even when I have them set and visual line mode
enabled (for org and elisp modes).

When in an org mode buffer or scratch buffer [(List Interaction ElDoc
Wrap)], I cannot see the indicators.  However, if I open a buffer in plain,
old text-mode, it does show them, as do the help buffers.

Here is an image showing a wrapped line in the scratch buffer (no
indicators) and others in the Help buffers (with indicators):

You can see that the indicators in the fringe are in the help buffers
[(Fundamental) or (Help Wrap)], but not in the scratch buffer.

The version info is in the about buffer (GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1,
x86_64-apple-darwin14.5.0, NS appkit-1348.17 Version 10.10.5 (Build
14F2511)) of 2018-05-30).

Note the line number in the scratch buffer (proof of visual line mode).

You can also see my settings in the help buffers (global-visual-line-mode
t, visual-line-fringe-indicators (left-curly-arrow right-curly-arrow))

This isn't just about org-mode (since the scratch buffer has this issue),
so I thought perhaps this should go to the emacs mailing list.

Any idea what I may be doing wrong here?

Does anyone else get the proper behavior?

Thanks!
-- Matt

[-- Attachment #2: image.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 144189 bytes --]

* Re: Visual Line mode with no fringe indicators in 26.1
@ 2018-07-13  7:12 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-07-13  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Matt Mello <matt812@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 13:17:20 -0700
>
> I'm having an issue where the fringe line continuation indicators are not
> showing in emacs 26.1 even when I have them set and visual line mode
> enabled (for org and elisp modes).
>
> When in an org mode buffer or scratch buffer [(List Interaction ElDoc
> Wrap)], I cannot see the indicators.  However, if I open a buffer in plain,
> old text-mode, it does show them, as do the help buffers.

See the user option visual-line-fringe-indicators.  I'm guessing some
of these buffers have it set so as to disable the fringe indicators.

> You can also see my settings in the help buffers (global-visual-line-mode
> t, visual-line-fringe-indicators (left-curly-arrow right-curly-arrow))

What matters is the local value in each buffer, not necessarily the
global value.

> This isn't just about org-mode (since the scratch buffer has this issue),
> so I thought perhaps this should go to the emacs mailing list.

That's because the default is not to show the indicators when
visual-line-mode is turned on.  Emacs tells you so in the *Help*<2>
buffer you show in your screenshot.

* Re: Visual Line mode with no fringe indicators in 26.1
@ 2018-07-13  7:32   ` Matt Mello
From: Matt Mello @ 2018-07-13  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> See the user option visual-line-fringe-indicators.  I'm guessing some
> of these buffers have it set so as to disable the fringe indicators.
>

> What matters is the local value in each buffer, not necessarily the
> global value.

I had the *scratch* buffer in focus when I described the
visual-line-fringe-indicators
variable, which you can see in the screenshot in the *Help*<2> buffer.  So,
that value is the value of visual-line-fringe-indicators in the scratch
buffer.  (Right?)

What more can I do to to force it to happen?

* Re: Visual Line mode with no fringe indicators in 26.1
@ 2018-07-13  7:47     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-07-13  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Matt Mello <matt812@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 00:32:46 -0700
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
>  See the user option visual-line-fringe-indicators.  I'm guessing some
>  of these buffers have it set so as to disable the fringe indicators.
>
>  What matters is the local value in each buffer, not necessarily the
>  global value.
>
> I had the *scratch* buffer in focus when I described the visual-line-fringe-indicators variable, which you can
> see in the screenshot in the *Help*<2> buffer.  So, that value is the value of visual-line-fringe-indicators in the
> scratch buffer.  (Right?)
>
> What more can I do to to force it to happen?

I don't know.  This recipe works for me in Emacs 26:

  emacs -Q
  Type:

    (setq visual-line-fringe-indicators '(left-curly-arrow right-curly-arrow))

  Evaluate the above sexp by putting point at its end and pressing
  "C-x C-e" or C-j.
  M-x visual-line-mode RET

If it doesn't work for you, try toggling visual-line-mode after
setting visual-line-fringe-indicators, maybe you set the variable
after visual-line-mode was already turned on.

* Re: Visual Line mode with no fringe indicators in 26.1
@ 2018-07-13  8:20       ` Matt Mello
From: Matt Mello @ 2018-07-13  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks, Eli!  That's it!  Order of operations:

(setq visual-line-fringe-indicators '(left-curly-arrow right-curly-arrow))
(global-visual-line-mode t)