all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* M vs C-[
@ 2011-07-17 14:08 C K Kashyap
From: C K Kashyap @ 2011-07-17 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi folks,
Looks like I can use C-[ to get the M key effect. However, I noticed that
M-C-\ to indent a region does not quite work when I do C-[ C-\
What is the reason for that?
Regards,
Kashyap

* Re: M vs C-[
@ 2011-07-17 19:05 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-07-17 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

C K Kashyap <ckkashyap@gmail.com> writes:

Hi!

> Looks like I can use C-[ to get the M key effect.

You can also use ESC:

  C-M-\ can be typed as ESC C-\

> However, I noticed that M-C-\ to indent a region does not quite work
> when I do C-[ C-\

It does here.  Are you sure it acts differently from C-M-\?

(While trying out, I found that `indent-region' doesn't always indent,
but its docs (C-h k ESC C-\) tell you how it determines if and to where
it indents.)

Actually, you can force it to indent using a prefix arg:

  C-u 4 C-M-\      ;; indent to 4th column
  C-u 4 C-[ C-\    ;; ditto
  C-u 4 ESC C-\    ;; ditto

Bye,
Tassilo