all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* dabbrev-expand ignores case sometimes
@ 2012-07-19 13:09 C K Kashyap
From: C K Kashyap @ 2012-07-19 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I noticed that at times when I do a M-/ and try to complete a word that
already exists in the buffer (I assume, this is what I need to do if I need
to do what I did using C-p or C-n on vi), the word completion happens but
with weird casing. Sometime all caps etc. I wonder if there is some setting
I need to do when I get into this situation.

Regards,
Kashyap

* Re: dabbrev-expand ignores case sometimes
@ 2012-07-19 14:04 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-07-19 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: C K Kashyap; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

C K Kashyap <ckkashyap@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I noticed that at times when I do a M-/ and try to complete a word
> that already exists in the buffer (I assume, this is what I need to
> do if I need to do what I did using C-p or C-n on vi), the word
> completion happens but with weird casing. Sometime all caps etc. I
> wonder if there is some setting I need to do when I get into this
> situation.

Have you customized dabrrev?

See (info "(emacs) Dabbrev Customization")

@ 2012-07-19 15:03   ` C K Kashyap
From: C K Kashyap @ 2012-07-19 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I have not customized dabrrev ... I believe I run into this accidentally
when I type in some control/alt combinations inadvertently.

Regards,
Kashyap

@ 2012-07-19 16:01     ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-07-19 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: C K Kashyap; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Can you be more specific.  What is the guarantee that you haven't typed
M-l, M-u or M-c?

@ 2012-07-20  5:06       ` C K Kashyap
From: C K Kashyap @ 2012-07-20  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

hmmm I am pretty sure its not M-I M-i or M-c . It's only M-/ and it simply
expands in an unexplainable manner.

Regards,
Kashyap

@ 2012-07-26 21:03         ` Ludwig, Mark
From: Ludwig, Mark @ 2012-07-26 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: C K Kashyap, Jambunathan K; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Did you figure this out?

I believe you're running into behavior I have also seen.  Consider the following scenario.

In an otherwise empty buffer, enter the following three non-blank lines (blanks here for readability):

Test1String
TEST2STRING
Test

Run the following tests, each with the cursor at the end of the third line.  (It does not matter if there is a newline after the third line.)

Firstly, invoke M-/ and what you will get is Test2string.
Secondly, delete the third line and replace it with "TEST1" before invoking M-/ and what you will get is TEST1STRING.
Thirdly, delete the third line and replace it with "test2" before invoking M-/ and what you will get is test2string.

I don't what this case-matching behavior is called, but it catches me occasionally too....

Cheers,
Mark

@ 2012-08-05 19:43           ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2012-08-05 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 09:03:09PM +0000, Ludwig, Mark wrote:

> I don't what this case-matching behavior is called, but it catches me occasionally too....

If you want dabbrev to respect the case while completing, try setting
this: (setq dabbrev-case-replace nil)

--
Suvayu