all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Editing files in the cloud - google notebook/dropbox or something else
@ 2011-09-14 10:36 ` Johnny
From: Johnny @ 2011-09-14 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: C K Kashyap; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

C K Kashyap <ckkashyap@gmail.com> writes:

> I've started using org-mode and needless to say, I love it. I was wondering if
> there are ready to use utilities that I could use to edit files directly off of
> a cloud storage? That way, I would not need to carry my todo org file
> everywhere.

There's probably someone already doing this, which I am not, but it
should be doable just through Ange-FTP?

Have you read up on (info "(emacs)Remote Files") ?

--
Johnny

* Editing files in the cloud - google notebook/dropbox or something else
@ 2011-09-14 11:06 C K Kashyap
From: C K Kashyap @ 2011-09-14 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've started using org-mode and needless to say, I love it. I was wondering
if there are ready to use utilities that I could use to edit files directly
off of a cloud storage? That way, I would not need to carry my todo org file
everywhere.
Regards,
Kashyap

* Re: Editing files in the cloud - google notebook/dropbox or something else
@ 2011-09-14 12:25   ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2011-09-14 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johnny; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 12:36 PM, Johnny <yggdrasil@gmx.co.uk> wrote:
> There's probably someone already doing this, which I am not, but it
> should be doable just through Ange-FTP?

I am not so sure its as trivial as that. The cloud services the OP
mentions (Google, Dropbox etc) don't provide read write access to
files over regular network protocols. AFAIK you have to use their API
to communicate. This makes any such direct attempt to edit rather
non-trivial.

--
Suvayu

* Re: Editing files in the cloud - google notebook/dropbox or something else
@ 2011-09-14 13:07     ` Johnny
From: Johnny @ 2011-09-14 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: suvayu ali; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 12:36 PM, Johnny <yggdrasil@gmx.co.uk> wrote:
>> There's probably someone already doing this, which I am not, but it
>> should be doable just through Ange-FTP?
>
> I am not so sure its as trivial as that. The cloud services the OP
> mentions (Google, Dropbox etc) don't provide read write access to
> files over regular network protocols. AFAIK you have to use their API
> to communicate. This makes any such direct attempt to edit rather
> non-trivial.

Or maybe it is even easier than that?

http://scicomp.dk/node/25

--
Johnny

* Re: Editing files in the cloud - google notebook/dropbox or something else
@ 2011-09-14 14:03 ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2011-09-14 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: C K Kashyap; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 09/14/2011 12:06 PM, C K Kashyap wrote:
> Hi,
> I've started using org-mode and needless to say, I love it. I was
> wondering if there are ready to use utilities that I could use to edit
> files directly off of a cloud storage? That way, I would not need to
> carry my todo org file everywhere.
> Regards,
> Kashyap

What I do now is just create a bare git repository on Dropbox.
Then checkout the repository to my machines from the Dropbox directory,
and push/pull from there.

I'm not sure if that is what you're asking but for me it works very well.

* Re: Editing files in the cloud - google notebook/dropbox or something else
@ 2011-09-15  8:40 ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2011-09-15  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

C K Kashyap <ckkashyap <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
> I've started using org-mode and needless to say, I love it. I
was wondering if there are ready to use utilities that I could
use to edit files directly off of a cloud storage? That way, I
would not need to carry my todo org file everywhere.

You mention Dropbox, so why not simply keep your org files in the
dropbox folder.  This provides local access and editing and
changes are synchronized instantly to the cloud.

* Re: Editing files in the cloud - google notebook/dropbox or something else
@ 2011-09-15  9:07   ` C K Kashyap
From: C K Kashyap @ 2011-09-15  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs