FWIW, the following two minor modes are already part of Emacs: * which-function-mode * semantic-stickyfunc-mode On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 3:30 PM, Richard Copley wrote: > On 27 October 2016 at 13:51, Alain Schneble wrote: > > Alain Schneble writes: > > > >> Below you will find a patch to extend show-paren-mode with a new > >> `prelude' style. It's an extension of `parenthesis' style. If the > >> matching opening paren is not visible, it will show the line of text > >> containing it as an overlay on the window's start line. I think it's > >> pretty useful, as it helps in keeping context when working e.g. in > >> defuns with many lines of code -- all without having to scroll up and > >> down. > > > > It just came to my mind that I might better had introduced a new > > separate customizable option to enable or disable prelude instead of > > mixing it with the already existing style. After all, it could be > > useful in *addition* to the existing ones. What do you think? > > Alain, > I agree, it seems to be orthogonal to show-paren mode. It sounds > more like a good old-fashioned minor-mode than a custom option. > > Did you rule out using header-line-format? My feeling is that > as a user I want to see the line at window-start and I'd prefer > it not to be obscured by an overlay. > >