Just out of curiosity: is being compliant with the XDG Base Directory Specification out-of-the-box ( https://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-0.6.html) currently viewed as a non-goal for Emacs? (The emphasis being on "out-of-the-box"). On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 3:28 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > From: Max > > Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2016 23:32:01 +0100 > > > > As an Emacs user I would like to kindly request you to reconsider this > bug. > > > > I think that the added complexity (look at the patch size, and even that > is more > > comments than code) is more than justified by the convenience it adds. > > The "complexity" mentioned in the discussion of this bug did not > allude to the size or complexity of the patch, it alluded to the > complexity this would add to Emacs and its development/maintenance: > where previously user-emacs-directory and the directory pointed to by > HOME in the environment were one and the same, now they will not be. > > I think if we want to revisit this issue, we should come up with the > use cases where this feature would be useful, and see if they are > important enough to justify the price. AFAIR, no use cases were > provided with the original request. > > Thanks. > > > >