all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Right justify the comments starting from the position of `#' for all lines.
@ 2021-09-27  9:54 Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-09-27  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Suppose I've the following code snippets:

foo ...              # foo comments
     bar ...     # bar comments
          baz ...            # baz comments
[...]

Now, I want to right justify the comments starting from the position
of `#' for all lines. Any hints/tips for achieving this goal?

Regards
Theory and Simulation of Materials
No. 473, Quannan West Street, Xindu District, Xingtai, Hebei province

* Re: Right justify the comments starting from the position of `#' for all lines.
@ 2021-09-27 13:25 ` Daniel Fleischer
From: Daniel Fleischer @ 2021-09-27 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hongyi Zhao; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hongyi Zhao [2021-09-27 Mon 17:54] wrote:

> Suppose I've the following code snippets:
>
> foo ...              # foo comments
>      bar ...     # bar comments
>           baz ...            # baz comments
> [...]
>
> Now, I want to right justify the comments starting from the position
> of `#' for all lines. Any hints/tips for achieving this goal?

Can highlight the lines, use 'align-regexp' and then enter '#'.

--

Daniel Fleischer

* Re: Right justify the comments starting from the position of `#' for all lines.
@ 2021-09-27 14:04   ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-09-27 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Fleischer; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 9:25 PM Daniel Fleischer <danflscr@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hongyi Zhao [2021-09-27 Mon 17:54] wrote:
>
> > Suppose I've the following code snippets:
> >
> > foo ...              # foo comments
> >      bar ...     # bar comments
> >           baz ...            # baz comments
> > [...]
> >
> > Now, I want to right justify the comments starting from the position
> > of `#' for all lines. Any hints/tips for achieving this goal?
>
> Can highlight the lines, use 'align-regexp' and then enter '#'.

Thank you very much. It really works. BTW, how to adjust/control/set
the position of the starting '#' in the ultimate aligned results?

Best, HZ

* Re: Right justify the comments starting from the position of `#' for all lines.
@ 2021-09-27 14:43     ` Daniel Fleischer
From: Daniel Fleischer @ 2021-09-27 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hongyi Zhao; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hongyi Zhao [2021-09-27 Mon 22:04] wrote:

> Thank you very much. It really works. BTW, how to adjust/control/set
> the position of the starting '#' in the ultimate aligned results?

Call the function with 'C-u'. It will ask you some questions, use the
same '#' but you now can specify the "amount of spacing".

Another option is using the wonderful CUA-rectangle mode. It's very (!)
powerful but a bit hidden, see https://emacs.stackexchange.com/a/16902
for documentation. It allows you to create blocks, fill them with
strings, fill them with integers series, insert/append text, kill,
reverse, align, sort and more.

--

Daniel Fleischer

* Re: Right justify the comments starting from the position of `#' for all lines.
@ 2021-09-27 15:18       ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-09-27 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Fleischer; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 10:43 PM Daniel Fleischer <danflscr@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hongyi Zhao [2021-09-27 Mon 22:04] wrote:
>
> > Thank you very much. It really works. BTW, how to adjust/control/set
> > the position of the starting '#' in the ultimate aligned results?
>
> Call the function with 'C-u'. It will ask you some questions, use the
> same '#' but you now can specify the "amount of spacing".
>
> Another option is using the wonderful CUA-rectangle mode. It's very (!)

Do you use `!' for emphasizing?

> powerful but a bit hidden, see https://emacs.stackexchange.com/a/16902
> for documentation.

The corresponding source code is located at
<https://github.com/emacs-mirror/emacs/blob/79b5d66bd66458f6e669adee2698e9fd18c4bc3a/lisp/emulation/cua-base.el#L131-L251>.

> It allows you to create blocks, fill them with
> strings, fill them with integers series, insert/append text, kill,
> reverse, align, sort and more.

Thank you for letting me know about it

HZ

* Re: Right justify the comments starting from the position of `#' for all lines.
@ 2021-09-28  3:39 ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-09-28  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hongyi Zhao wrote:

> Suppose I've the following code snippets:
>
> foo ...              # foo comments
>      bar ...     # bar comments
>           baz ...            # baz comments
> [...]
>
> Now, I want to right justify the comments starting from the
> position of `#' for all lines. Any hints/tips for achieving
> this goal?

The mode should do this for you, see `comment-column'.

But the way to use comments is to use it when something sticks
out in a weird way or in a way that's difficult to understand
by just looking at the code.

If you do this all the time comments won't help ...

And if you do this very rarely as you should, aligning the
comment manually is not a problem.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal