On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 10:19 PM Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > > From: Hongyi Zhao > > Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2022 21:56:58 +0800 > > Cc: help-gnu-emacs > > > > > This is what this feature does: it interrupts a too-long redisplay and > > > lets you use Emacs regardless -- you can switch to another buffer, or > > > kill the problematic buffer, or do something else to remedy the > > > unexpected slowness, instead of having to wait forever for any > > > response to any Emacs command, which basically makes the session > > > unusable. > > > > Thank you for your explanation, but I find that in this case, the > > incremental search doesn't work as expected, as shown in the attached > > file. > > "Doesn't work" in what way? I mean: When I'm typing the searching keyword in the minibuffer, highlighting the keyword's occurrence in the file, as shown in the vscode for the same file. > I think your expectations from what this does are incorrect. This new > variable's purpose is to prevent Emacs from becoming frozen and > unusable because you happened to visit a problematic file. It doesn't > make problematic files non-problematic, it just prevents such a file > from making the session hopelessly frozen without any way to recover. > > In your case, you can kill the buffer and then visit it literally, or > make the file shorter and re-visit it, or decide that this file cannot > be reasonably edited with Emacs, or something else. And your Emacs > session will still be usable and will not freeze -- which was your > complaint, see the Subject. > > IOW, it sounds like your complaint is now something else, not that > "Emacs freezes again". Yes. But new problem appears :-( Best, Hongsheng