all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Combine multiple (straight-)use-package commands into one.
@ 2021-06-12  9:57 Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-06-12  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Ubuntu 20.04, according to the instruction
[here](https://github.com/raxod502/straight.el/issues/786#issuecomment-859155336),
I use the following settings in my Emacs init file:

```
;;Bootstrap straight
(defvar bootstrap-version)
(let ((bootstrap-file
       (expand-file-name "straight/repos/straight.el/bootstrap.el"
user-emacs-directory))
      (bootstrap-version 5))
  (unless (file-exists-p bootstrap-file)
    (with-current-buffer
        (url-retrieve-synchronously
         "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/raxod502/straight.el/develop/install.el"
         'silent 'inhibit-cookies)
      (goto-char (point-max))
      (eval-print-last-sexp)))
  (load bootstrap-file nil 'nomessage))

;; Install use-package via straight
(straight-use-package 'use-package)

;; Setting this to `t' makes it so that you don't need to include the :straight
;; keyword in use-package declarations unless you want to add/extend the package
;; installation recipe.

(setq straight-use-package-by-default t) ; straight's equivalent of
`use-package-always-ensure'.
```
Now, I want to install multiple package hosted in recipe repositories
(such as MELPA) as shown below with only one (straight-)use-package
command, is it possible?
```
(use-package flycheck)
(use-package lsp-mode)
(use-package dash)
(use-package posframe)
(use-package s)
(use-package ein)
(use-package smartparens)
(use-package valign)
(use-package multi-term)
```
Regards
Theory and Simulation of Materials
NO. 552 North Gangtie Road, Xingtai, China

* Re: Combine multiple (straight-)use-package commands into one.
@ 2021-06-12 14:57 ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-06-12 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, Jun 12, 2021 at 5:57 PM Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Ubuntu 20.04, according to the instruction
> [here](https://github.com/raxod502/straight.el/issues/786#issuecomment-859155336),
> I use the following settings in my Emacs init file:
>
> ```
> ;;Bootstrap straight
> (defvar bootstrap-version)
> (let ((bootstrap-file
>        (expand-file-name "straight/repos/straight.el/bootstrap.el"
> user-emacs-directory))
>       (bootstrap-version 5))
>   (unless (file-exists-p bootstrap-file)
>     (with-current-buffer
>         (url-retrieve-synchronously
>          "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/raxod502/straight.el/develop/install.el"
>          'silent 'inhibit-cookies)
>       (goto-char (point-max))
>       (eval-print-last-sexp)))
>   (load bootstrap-file nil 'nomessage))
>
> ;; Install use-package via straight
> (straight-use-package 'use-package)
>
> ;; Setting this to `t' makes it so that you don't need to include the :straight
> ;; keyword in use-package declarations unless you want to add/extend the package
> ;; installation recipe.
>
> (setq straight-use-package-by-default t) ; straight's equivalent of
> `use-package-always-ensure'.
> ```
> Now, I want to install multiple package hosted in recipe repositories
> (such as MELPA) as shown below with only one (straight-)use-package
> command, is it possible?
> ```
> (use-package flycheck)
> (use-package lsp-mode)
> (use-package dash)
> (use-package posframe)
> (use-package s)
> (use-package ein)
> (use-package smartparens)
> (use-package valign)
> (use-package multi-term)
> ```

Based on the code snippets at
<https://github.com/flakyhermit/emacs.d/blob/6b488895071e980433facf648f482974526d6a13/init.el#L22>,
I figured out the following solution with `straight-use-package'
command:

(defvar package-list)
(setq package-list '(
       flycheck lsp-mode dash posframe
       s ein smartparens valign
       multi-term
))

(mapc (lambda(package-name)
(straight-use-package package-name)) package-list)

But I still don't know the corresponding implementation with
`use-package' command.

@ 2021-06-12 16:08   ` Omar Polo
From: Omar Polo @ 2021-06-12 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hongyi Zhao; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, Jun 12, 2021 at 5:57 PM Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Ubuntu 20.04, according to the instruction
>> [here](https://github.com/raxod502/straight.el/issues/786#issuecomment-859155336),
>> I use the following settings in my Emacs init file:
>>
>> ```
>> ;;Bootstrap straight
>> (defvar bootstrap-version)
>> (let ((bootstrap-file
>>        (expand-file-name "straight/repos/straight.el/bootstrap.el"
>> user-emacs-directory))
>>       (bootstrap-version 5))
>>   (unless (file-exists-p bootstrap-file)
>>     (with-current-buffer
>>         (url-retrieve-synchronously
>>          "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/raxod502/straight.el/develop/install.el"
>>          'silent 'inhibit-cookies)
>>       (goto-char (point-max))
>>       (eval-print-last-sexp)))
>>   (load bootstrap-file nil 'nomessage))
>>
>> ;; Install use-package via straight
>> (straight-use-package 'use-package)
>>
>> ;; Setting this to `t' makes it so that you don't need to include the :straight
>> ;; keyword in use-package declarations unless you want to add/extend the package
>> ;; installation recipe.
>>
>> (setq straight-use-package-by-default t) ; straight's equivalent of
>> `use-package-always-ensure'.
>> ```
>> Now, I want to install multiple package hosted in recipe repositories
>> (such as MELPA) as shown below with only one (straight-)use-package
>> command, is it possible?
>> ```
>> (use-package flycheck)
>> (use-package lsp-mode)
>> (use-package dash)
>> (use-package posframe)
>> (use-package s)
>> (use-package ein)
>> (use-package smartparens)
>> (use-package valign)
>> (use-package multi-term)
>> ```
>
> Based on the code snippets at
> <https://github.com/flakyhermit/emacs.d/blob/6b488895071e980433facf648f482974526d6a13/init.el#L22>,
> I figured out the following solution with `straight-use-package'
> command:
>
> (defvar package-list)
> (setq package-list '(
>        flycheck lsp-mode dash posframe
>        s ein smartparens valign
>        multi-term
> ))
>
> (mapc (lambda(package-name)
> (straight-use-package package-name)) package-list)
>
> But I still don't know the corresponding implementation with
> `use-package' command.

C-h f use-package RET says that

> use-package is a Lisp macro in ‘use-package-core.el’.

being a macro and not a function[0], it means that it follows different
rule for the evaluation.  (use-package foo ...) is something that gets
*expanded* at *compile time* in some other lisp code, it's not something
you can pass to mapc.  You need to expand the loop *at compile* time to
load multiple packages, something like the following (untested)

--------8<--------
(defmacro use-multiple-packages (&rest packages)
  `(progn
    ,@(mapcar (lambda (p) `(use-package ,p))
              packages)))

(use-multiple-pacakges foo
                       bar
		       baz
		       ...)
-------->8--------

but it becomes not useful, since the main point of use-package is IMHO
the syntax sugar for adding hooks, bindings etc.  If you don't care
about that stuff, a simple loop over package-install/package-installed-p
is probably enough.

> Regards

[0]: see (info "(elisp)macros") for more information about how elisp
     macros works.

* Re: Combine multiple (straight-)use-package commands into one.
@ 2021-06-13  1:29     ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-06-13  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Omar Polo; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, Jun 13, 2021 at 12:08 AM Omar Polo <op@omarpolo.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >        flycheck lsp-mode dash posframe
> >        s ein smartparens valign
> >        multi-term
> > ))
> >
> > (mapc (lambda(package-name)
> > (straight-use-package package-name)) package-list)
> >
> > But I still don't know the corresponding implementation with
> > `use-package' command.
>
> C-h f use-package RET says that
>
> > use-package is a Lisp macro in ‘use-package-core.el’.
>
> being a macro and not a function[0], it means that it follows different
> rule for the evaluation.  (use-package foo ...) is something that gets
> *expanded* at *compile time* in some other lisp code, it's not something
> you can pass to mapc.  You need to expand the loop *at compile* time to
> load multiple packages, something like the following (untested)
>
> --------8<--------
> (defmacro use-multiple-packages (&rest packages)

There is typo:

 (use-multiple-packages foo

>                        bar
>                        baz
>                        ...)
> -------->8--------

Thank you. It works like a charm.

@ 2021-06-13 10:22   ` Thibaut Verron
From: Thibaut Verron @ 2021-06-13 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hongyi Zhao, help-gnu-emacs

On 12/06/2021 16:57, Hongyi Zhao wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 12, 2021 at 5:57 PM Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Ubuntu 20.04, according to the instruction
>> [here](https://github.com/raxod502/straight.el/issues/786#issuecomment-859155336),
>> I use the following settings in my Emacs init file:
>>
>> ```
>> ;;Bootstrap straight
>> (defvar bootstrap-version)
>> (let ((bootstrap-file
>>         (expand-file-name "straight/repos/straight.el/bootstrap.el"
>> user-emacs-directory))
>>        (bootstrap-version 5))
>>    (unless (file-exists-p bootstrap-file)
>>      (with-current-buffer
>>          (url-retrieve-synchronously
>>           "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/raxod502/straight.el/develop/install.el"
>>           'silent 'inhibit-cookies)
>>        (goto-char (point-max))
>>        (eval-print-last-sexp)))
>>    (load bootstrap-file nil 'nomessage))
>>
>> ;; Install use-package via straight
>> (straight-use-package 'use-package)
>>
>> ;; Setting this to `t' makes it so that you don't need to include the :straight
>> ;; keyword in use-package declarations unless you want to add/extend the package
>> ;; installation recipe.
>>
>> (setq straight-use-package-by-default t) ; straight's equivalent of
>> `use-package-always-ensure'.
>> ```
>> Now, I want to install multiple package hosted in recipe repositories
>> (such as MELPA) as shown below with only one (straight-)use-package
>> command, is it possible?
>> ```
>> (use-package flycheck)
>> (use-package lsp-mode)
>> (use-package dash)
>> (use-package posframe)
>> (use-package s)
>> (use-package ein)
>> (use-package smartparens)
>> (use-package valign)
>> (use-package multi-term)
>> ```
> Based on the code snippets at
> <https://github.com/flakyhermit/emacs.d/blob/6b488895071e980433facf648f482974526d6a13/init.el#L22>,
> I figured out the following solution with `straight-use-package'
> command:
>
> (defvar package-list)
> (setq package-list '(
>         flycheck lsp-mode dash posframe
>         s ein smartparens valign
>         multi-term
> ))
>
> (mapc (lambda(package-name)
> (straight-use-package package-name)) package-list)
>
> But I still don't know the corresponding implementation with
> `use-package' command.

I don't understand what you don't like about this code: as far as I know
(straight-use-package 'foo) is strictly equivalent to (use-package foo
:straight t), and with straight-use-package-by-default you don't need
the :straight t.

Why is it such a problem to have straight-use-package in this loop
instead of use-package?

One confusion which took me quite a long time to clear, is that despite
the similar names, straight-use-package and use-package have very
different purposes: straight-use-package is for installing the package
(similar to package-install) while use-package is for grouping together
everything related to a package (this includes installation, either by
straight or package.el, but also initialization, configuration,
bindings...). Could it be your problem as well?

Best wishes,

Thibaut

* Re: Combine multiple (straight-)use-package commands into one.
@ 2021-06-13 12:53     ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-06-13 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thibaut Verron; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, Jun 13, 2021 at 6:22 PM Thibaut Verron <thibaut.verron@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/06/2021 16:57, Hongyi Zhao wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 12, 2021 at 5:57 PM Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> On Ubuntu 20.04, according to the instruction
> >> [here](https://github.com/raxod502/straight.el/issues/786#issuecomment-859155336),
> >> I use the following settings in my Emacs init file:
> >>
> >> ```
> >> ;;Bootstrap straight
> >> (defvar bootstrap-version)
> >> (let ((bootstrap-file
> >>         (expand-file-name "straight/repos/straight.el/bootstrap.el"
> >> user-emacs-directory))
> >>        (bootstrap-version 5))
> >>    (unless (file-exists-p bootstrap-file)
> >>      (with-current-buffer
> >>          (url-retrieve-synchronously
> >>           "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/raxod502/straight.el/develop/install.el"
> >>           'silent 'inhibit-cookies)
> >>        (goto-char (point-max))
> >>        (eval-print-last-sexp)))
> >>    (load bootstrap-file nil 'nomessage))
> >>
> >> ;; Install use-package via straight
> >> (straight-use-package 'use-package)
> >>
> >> ;; Setting this to `t' makes it so that you don't need to include the :straight
> >> ;; keyword in use-package declarations unless you want to add/extend the package
> >> ;; installation recipe.
> >>
> >> (setq straight-use-package-by-default t) ; straight's equivalent of
> >> `use-package-always-ensure'.
> >> ```
> >> Now, I want to install multiple package hosted in recipe repositories
> >> (such as MELPA) as shown below with only one (straight-)use-package
> >> command, is it possible?
> >> ```
> >> (use-package flycheck)
> >> (use-package lsp-mode)
> >> (use-package dash)
> >> (use-package posframe)
> >> (use-package s)
> >> (use-package ein)
> >> (use-package smartparens)
> >> (use-package valign)
> >> (use-package multi-term)
> >> ```
> > Based on the code snippets at
> > <https://github.com/flakyhermit/emacs.d/blob/6b488895071e980433facf648f482974526d6a13/init.el#L22>,
> > I figured out the following solution with `straight-use-package'
> > command:
> >
> > (defvar package-list)
> > (setq package-list '(
> >         flycheck lsp-mode dash posframe
> >         s ein smartparens valign
> >         multi-term
> > ))
> >
> > (mapc (lambda(package-name)
> > (straight-use-package package-name)) package-list)
> >
> > But I still don't know the corresponding implementation with
> > `use-package' command.
>
> I don't understand what you don't like about this code: as far as I know
> (straight-use-package 'foo) is strictly equivalent to (use-package foo
> :straight t), and with straight-use-package-by-default you don't need
> the :straight t.
>
> Why is it such a problem to have straight-use-package in this loop
> instead of use-package?

Just out of curiosity to learn Lisp's ability: understanding and grasp
different methods for the same job.

> One confusion which took me quite a long time to clear, is that despite
> the similar names, straight-use-package and use-package have very
> different purposes: straight-use-package is for installing the package
> (similar to package-install) while use-package is for grouping together
> everything related to a package (this includes installation, either by
> straight or package.el,

AFAIK, straight is not compatible with package.el, see
<https://github.com/raxod502/straight.el/issues/786#issuecomment-859155336>
for more detailed info.

@ 2021-06-13 13:29       ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-06-13 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thibaut Verron; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, Jun 13, 2021 at 8:53 PM Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 13, 2021 at 6:22 PM Thibaut Verron <thibaut.verron@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Based on the code snippets at
> > > <https://github.com/flakyhermit/emacs.d/blob/6b488895071e980433facf648f482974526d6a13/init.el#L22>,
> > > I figured out the following solution with `straight-use-package'
> > > command:
> > >
> > > (defvar package-list)
> > > (setq package-list '(
> > >         flycheck lsp-mode dash posframe
> > >         s ein smartparens valign
> > >         multi-term
> > > ))
> > >
> > > (mapc (lambda(package-name)
> > > (straight-use-package package-name)) package-list)
> > >
> > > But I still don't know the corresponding implementation with
> > > `use-package' command.
> >
> > I don't understand what you don't like about this code: as far as I know
> > (straight-use-package 'foo) is strictly equivalent to (use-package foo
> > :straight t), and with straight-use-package-by-default you don't need
> > the :straight t.
> >
> > Why is it such a problem to have straight-use-package in this loop
> > instead of use-package?
>
> Just out of curiosity to learn Lisp's ability: understanding and grasp
> different methods for the same job.
>

> > One confusion which took me quite a long time to clear, is that despite
> > the similar names, straight-use-package and use-package have very
> > different purposes: straight-use-package is for installing the package
> > (similar to package-install) while use-package is for grouping together
> > everything related to a package (this includes installation, either by
> > straight or package.el,
>
> AFAIK, straight is not compatible with package.el, see
> <https://github.com/raxod502/straight.el/issues/786#issuecomment-859155336>
> for more detailed info.

Also see <https://github.com/raxod502/straight.el#getting-started>:

You should remove any code that relates to package.el; for example,
references to package-initialize, package-archives, and (if you're
using use-package) :ensure or use-package-always-ensure.

@ 2021-06-13 14:54         ` Thibaut Verron
From: Thibaut Verron @ 2021-06-13 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hongyi Zhao; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 6/13/21 3:29 PM, Hongyi Zhao wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 13, 2021 at 8:53 PM Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I don't understand what you don't like about this code: as far as I know
>>> (straight-use-package 'foo) is strictly equivalent to (use-package foo
>>> :straight t), and with straight-use-package-by-default you don't need
>>> the :straight t.
>>>
>>> Why is it such a problem to have straight-use-package in this loop
>>> instead of use-package?
>> Just out of curiosity to learn Lisp's ability: understanding and grasp
>> different methods for the same job.
>>
>>> One confusion which took me quite a long time to clear, is that despite
>>> the similar names, straight-use-package and use-package have very
>>> different purposes: straight-use-package is for installing the package
>>> (similar to package-install) while use-package is for grouping together
>>> everything related to a package (this includes installation, either by
>>> straight or package.el,
>> AFAIK, straight is not compatible with package.el, see
>> <https://github.com/raxod502/straight.el/issues/786#issuecomment-859155336>
>> for more detailed info.
> Also see <https://github.com/raxod502/straight.el#getting-started>:
>
> You should remove any code that relates to package.el; for example,
> references to package-initialize, package-archives, and (if you're
> using use-package) :ensure or use-package-always-ensure.

Yes, use-package can be used with straight and package.el by just
changing a keyword (:ensure <-> :straight), but mixing them in the same
configuration is definitely not recommended.

Straight itself is not compatible with package.el and has no reason to
be, since it is intended as a replacement.