all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Store news server authentication credentials for gnus in an encrypted manner.
@ 2021-03-16 15:26 Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-03-16 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I noticed the FAQ 3-3 for gnus at
<https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/FAQ-3_002d3.html>,
which uses the file ~/.authinfo to store the news server
authentication information with file mode bits set to 600.

But I want to know if there are some encrypted methods for such a job.
Any hints will be highly appreciated.

Regards
Theory and Simulation of Materials
Hebei Polytechnic University of Science and Technology engineering
NO. 552 North Gangtie Road, Xingtai, China

* Re: Store news server authentication credentials for gnus in an encrypted manner.
@ 2021-03-16 16:03 ` Vegard Vesterheim
From: Vegard Vesterheim @ 2021-03-16 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hongyi Zhao; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 16 Mar 2021 23:26:14 +0800 Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> wrote:

> I noticed the FAQ 3-3 for gnus at
> <https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/FAQ-3_002d3.html>,
> which uses the file ~/.authinfo to store the news server
> authentication information with file mode bits set to 600.
>
> But I want to know if there are some encrypted methods for such a job.
> Any hints will be highly appreciated.

Encrypt the data with GPG and save the data in ~/.authinfo.gpg.

https://www.masteringemacs.org/article/keeping-secrets-in-emacs-gnupg-auth-sources
https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusEncryptedAuthInfo

--
Vennlig hilsen/Best regards
Vegard Vesterheim

* Re: Store news server authentication credentials for gnus in an encrypted manner.
@ 2021-03-16 16:09 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2021-03-16 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:

> I noticed the FAQ 3-3 for gnus at
> <https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/FAQ-3_002d3.html>,
> which uses the file ~/.authinfo to store the news server
> authentication information with file mode bits set to 600.
>
> But I want to know if there are some encrypted methods for such a job.
> Any hints will be highly appreciated.

Yes, you can simply use an encrypted ~/.authinfo.gpg, and emacs will
query you for a passphrase when accessing it.  Usually, you'd also setup
the GPG agent, see

  (info "(auth) GnuPG and EasyPG Assistant Configuration")

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Store news server authentication credentials for gnus in an encrypted manner.
@ 2021-03-16 16:32 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2021-03-16 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hongyi Zhao; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:

> I noticed the FAQ 3-3 for gnus at
> <https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/FAQ-3_002d3.html>,
> which uses the file ~/.authinfo to store the news server
> authentication information with file mode bits set to 600.
>
> But I want to know if there are some encrypted methods for such a job.
> Any hints will be highly appreciated.

You can just use a ~/.authinfo.gpg file, and everything will work
correctly (assuming GPG encryption/decryption is already working for you
in Emacs).

Eric

* Re: Store news server authentication credentials for gnus in an encrypted manner.
@ 2021-03-18  2:36   ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-03-18  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Got it. Thank you everyone for your help here.

@ 2021-03-18  3:34   ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-03-18  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vegard Vesterheim; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 12:03 AM Vegard Vesterheim
<vegard.vesterheim@uninett.no> wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Mar 2021 23:26:14 +0800 Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I noticed the FAQ 3-3 for gnus at
> > <https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/FAQ-3_002d3.html>,
> > which uses the file ~/.authinfo to store the news server
> > authentication information with file mode bits set to 600.
> >
> > But I want to know if there are some encrypted methods for such a job.
> > Any hints will be highly appreciated.
>
> Encrypt the data with GPG and save the data in ~/.authinfo.gpg.
>
> https://www.masteringemacs.org/article/keeping-secrets-in-emacs-gnupg-auth-sources
> https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusEncryptedAuthInfo

To be frank, the notes/instructions on emacswiki were written a long
time ago, while the ones on masteringemacs is up to date. So, I prefer
the former.