all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Retrieve all the emails belong to a thread initiated by myself from the archive server.
@ 2021-10-11 13:34 Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-10-11 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is there a method which can let me retrieve all the emails belong to a
thread initiated by myself from the archive server within Emacs?

Regards
Theory and Simulation of Materials
No. 473, Quannan West Street, Xindu District, Xingtai, Hebei province

* Re: Retrieve all the emails belong to a thread initiated by myself from the archive server.
@ 2021-10-11 16:15 ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-10-11 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hongyi Zhao wrote:

> Is there a method which can let me retrieve all the emails
> belong to a thread initiated by myself from the archive
> server within Emacs?

Yes, with Gnus, it is called respooling.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: Retrieve all the emails belong to a thread initiated by myself from the archive server.
@ 2021-10-12  0:57   ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-10-12  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg, help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 12:21 AM Emanuel Berg via Users list for the
GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hongyi Zhao wrote:
>
> > Is there a method which can let me retrieve all the emails
> > belong to a thread initiated by myself from the archive
> > server within Emacs?
>
> Yes, with Gnus, it is called respooling.

Cool. Thanks.

HZ

* Re: Retrieve all the emails belong to a thread initiated by myself from the archive server.
@ 2021-10-12  1:11   ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-10-12  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg, help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 12:21 AM Emanuel Berg via Users list for the
GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hongyi Zhao wrote:
>
> > Is there a method which can let me retrieve all the emails
> > belong to a thread initiated by myself from the archive
> > server within Emacs?
>
> Yes, with Gnus, it is called respooling.

It seems that the corresponding function for this feature is the following:

gnus-summary-respool-article

HZ

* Re: Retrieve all the emails belong to a thread initiated by myself from the archive server.
@ 2021-10-12  1:15     ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-10-12  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hongyi Zhao wrote:

>>> Is there a method which can let me retrieve all the emails
>>> belong to a thread initiated by myself from the archive
>>> server within Emacs?
>>
>> Yes, with Gnus, it is called respooling.
>
> It seems that the corresponding function for this feature is
> the following:
>
> gnus-summary-respool-article

First create groups ...

Then make rules, e.g.

(setq nnmail-split-methods
      '(
        ("mail.ml-ooa" "\\(To\\|Cc\\):.*\\(help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org\\|ding@gnus.org\\|emacs-w3m@namazu.org\\|emacs-devel@gnu.org\\|gmane-discuss@quimby.gnus.org\\|tex-live@tug.org\\|gnuplot-info@lists.sourceforge.net\\|emacs-orgmode@gnu.org\\|emacs-erc@gnu.org\\)")
        ("mail.ml-ooa" "List-Id: <linux-rpi-kernel.lists.infradead.org>")
        ("mail.ml-ooa" "List-Id: Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs.gnu.org>")
        ("mail.misc"   "")
      ))

Then test respool on a couple of article and see if they end
up in the right place(s), if not adjust. When it is cool,
respool the whole thing. Done and done :)

--

@ 2021-10-12  4:07       ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-10-12  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I found one defun I hade, useful but it is just a wrapper.

Maybe the group should be a ordinary argument - or an optional
argument where "nnml:mail.misc" is the default ...

Yeah, looks good in its simple way :)

(defun gnus-summary-respool-all (&optional beg end)
  (interactive (when (use-region-p)
                 (list (region-beginning) (region-end)) ))
  (let*((b (or beg (point-min)))
        (e (or end (point-max)))
        (lines (count-lines b e)) )
    (goto-char b)
    (gnus-summary-respool-article
       lines
       (gnus-find-method-for-group "nnml:mail.misc") )))

--

@ 2021-10-12  7:26         ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-10-12  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg, help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 12:08 PM Emanuel Berg via Users list for the
GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:

> I found one defun I hade, useful but it is just a wrapper.
>
> Maybe the group should be a ordinary argument - or an optional
> argument where "nnml:mail.misc" is the default ...
>
> Yeah, looks good in its simple way :)
>
> (defun gnus-summary-respool-all (&optional beg end)
>   (interactive (when (use-region-p)
>                  (list (region-beginning) (region-end)) ))
>   (let*((b (or beg (point-min)))
>         (e (or end (point-max)))
>         (lines (count-lines b e)) )
>     (goto-char b)
>     (gnus-summary-respool-article
>        lines
>        (gnus-find-method-for-group "nnml:mail.misc") )))

Thank you for sharing your valuable experience, I'll try it to see
whether I can do the job with Gnus.

HZ

* Re: Retrieve all the emails belong to a thread initiated by myself from the archive server.
@ 2021-10-12  7:34           ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-10-12  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hongyi Zhao wrote:

>> I found one defun I hade, useful but it is just a wrapper.
>>
>> Maybe the group should be a ordinary argument - or an optional
>> argument where "nnml:mail.misc" is the default ...
>>
>> Yeah, looks good in its simple way :)
>>
>> (defun gnus-summary-respool-all (&optional beg end)
>>   (interactive (when (use-region-p)
>>                  (list (region-beginning) (region-end)) ))
>>   (let*((b (or beg (point-min)))
>>         (e (or end (point-max)))
>>         (lines (count-lines b e)) )
>>     (goto-char b)
>>     (gnus-summary-respool-article
>>        lines
>>        (gnus-find-method-for-group "nnml:mail.misc") )))
>
> Thank you for sharing your valuable experience, I'll try it
> to see whether I can do the job with Gnus.

But won't do anything without the regexps ...

(setq nnmail-split-methods
      '(
        ("mail.ml-ooa"    "\\(To\\|Cc\\):.*\\(help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org\\|ding@gnus.org\\|emacs-w3m@namazu.org\\|emacs-devel@gnu.org\\|gmane-discuss@quimby.gnus.org\\|tex-live@tug.org\\|gnuplot-info@lists.sourceforge.net\\|emacs-orgmode@gnu.org\\|emacs-erc@gnu.org\\)")
        [...]
        ("mail.misc"      "")
      ))

(note default last)

`B q' or `gnus-summary-respool-query' is the testing function
I spoke of, after you set up the regexps ...

For example of your message it says

  This message would go to mail.ml-ooa

That is because I assume I'd see it here (i.e.
gmane.emacs.help) anyway so if I get it as a mail it'll
respool to the mail ML out-of-action group where it doesn't
bother me ...

--

@ 2021-10-12  7:49             ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-10-12  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg, help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 3:38 PM Emanuel Berg via Users list for the
GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hongyi Zhao wrote:
>
> >> I found one defun I hade, useful but it is just a wrapper.
> >>
> >> Maybe the group should be a ordinary argument - or an optional
> >> argument where "nnml:mail.misc" is the default ...
> >>
> >> Yeah, looks good in its simple way :)
> >>
> >> (defun gnus-summary-respool-all (&optional beg end)
> >>   (interactive (when (use-region-p)
> >>                  (list (region-beginning) (region-end)) ))
> >>   (let*((b (or beg (point-min)))
> >>         (e (or end (point-max)))
> >>         (lines (count-lines b e)) )
> >>     (goto-char b)
> >>     (gnus-summary-respool-article
> >>        lines
> >>        (gnus-find-method-for-group "nnml:mail.misc") )))
> >
> > Thank you for sharing your valuable experience, I'll try it
> > to see whether I can do the job with Gnus.
>
> But won't do anything without the regexps ...
>
> (setq nnmail-split-methods
>       '(
>         ("mail.ml-ooa"    "\\(To\\|Cc\\):.*\\(help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org\\|ding@gnus.org\\|emacs-w3m@namazu.org\\|emacs-devel@gnu.org\\|gmane-discuss@quimby.gnus.org\\|tex-live@tug.org\\|gnuplot-info@lists.sourceforge.net\\|emacs-orgmode@gnu.org\\|emacs-erc@gnu.org\\)")
>         [...]
>         ("mail.misc"      "")
>       ))
>
> (note default last)
>
> `B q' or `gnus-summary-respool-query' is the testing function
> I spoke of, after you set up the regexps ...
>
> For example of your message it says
>
>   This message would go to mail.ml-ooa
>
> That is because I assume I'd see it here (i.e.
> gmane.emacs.help)

You have set a bunch of ML addressed in the regexps, why you only
mention `gmane.emacs.help' here?

@ 2021-10-12  9:20               ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-10-12  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hongyi Zhao wrote:

> You have set a bunch of ML addressed in the regexps, why you
> only mention `gmane.emacs.help' here?

I get help-gnu-emacs with Gnus and Gmane as the newsgroup
gmane.emacs.help so when I sometimes get the same mails
because people have clients that don't yada yada or
CC w/o etc etc and I do get the mail as well then the filter
regexp catches the mail and the respool rule places it where
I don't see it, because I'm bound (well ... it is very likely
at least) to is it anyway, namely here in gmane.emacs.help,
where it is obviously much better :)

[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/