all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Execute "M-x some-command" in ~/.emacs.d/init.el.
@ 2021-05-26 15:16 Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-05-26 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

See my following settings in ~/.emacs.d/init.el:

(require 'keycast
  (keycast-mode)
)

The above code snippet will automatically run the "M-x keycast-mode"
command. While I also tried with following configuration, but it seems
that the command was not triggered during Emacs' initialization:

(use-package keycast
  :commands (keycast-mode)
)

Any hints for this problem?

Regards
Theory and Simulation of Materials
NO. 552 North Gangtie Road, Xingtai, China

* Re: Execute "M-x some-command" in ~/.emacs.d/init.el.
@ 2021-05-26 15:31 ` Omar Polo
From: Omar Polo @ 2021-05-26 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hongyi Zhao; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:

> See my following settings in ~/.emacs.d/init.el:
>
> (require 'keycast
>   (keycast-mode)
> )
>
> The above code snippet will automatically run the "M-x keycast-mode"
> command. While I also tried with following configuration, but it seems
> that the command was not triggered during Emacs' initialization:
>
> (use-package keycast
>   :commands (keycast-mode)
> )
> Any hints for this problem?

use-package' :commands doesn't invoke commands, it only sets up
autoloads.  You probably intended

(use-package keycast
  :config
  (keycast-mode))

@ 2021-05-26 16:12   ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-05-26 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Omar Polo; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 11:32 PM Omar Polo <op@omarpolo.com> wrote:

> Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > See my following settings in ~/.emacs.d/init.el:
> >
> > (require 'keycast
> >   (keycast-mode)
> > )
> >
> > The above code snippet will automatically run the "M-x keycast-mode"
> > command. While I also tried with following configuration, but it seems
> > that the command was not triggered during Emacs' initialization:
> >
> > (use-package keycast
> >   :commands (keycast-mode)
> > )
> > Any hints for this problem?
>
> use-package' :commands doesn't invoke commands, it only sets up
> autoloads.  You probably intended
>
> (use-package keycast
>   :config
>   (keycast-mode))

Really. Thank you for clarifying this for me.

HY