all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Detect latexmk is running on currently buffer.
@ 2021-10-12  7:54 Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-10-12  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Currently, I'm using the following configuration to automate the LaTeX
workflow in Emacs with AUCTeX:

```emacs-lisp
;; Automatically revert a buffer when the corresponding file on disk is updated.
(global-auto-revert-mode 1)
(setq auto-revert-use-notify nil)

;; Automatically save the buffer to disk periodically.
(use-package real-auto-save
   :hook ((TeX-mode python-mode) . real-auto-save-mode)
   :config
  (setq real-auto-save-interval 5) ;; in seconds
  )

;; After the buffer is changed and saved to disk, run latexmk on the
;; corresponding file immediately.
;;See ~/.latexmkrc for correspoding configuration
(use-package smart-compile
  :init
  (declare-function smart-compile-string "smart-compile")
  (defun run-latexmk ()
    (when (string-match ".tex$" (buffer-file-name))
      (let ((buf (get-buffer "*Background TeX proccess*")))
    (if (bufferp buf) (kill-buffer buf))) ;; flush previous log
      (start-process-shell-command
       "Background TeX" "*Background TeX proccess*"
       ;; use an external application as the previewer
       ;;(smart-compile-string "latexmk -pv %f")

       ;; use pdf-tools
       (smart-compile-string "latexmk %f")
       )))
  (define-minor-mode AutoTeX-mode
    "Mode for compiling latex sources and creating PDFs after saving."
    :global nil
    :lighter " Auto"
    (if AutoTeX-mode
    (add-hook 'after-save-hook 'run-latexmk t t)
      (remove-hook 'after-save-hook 'run-latexmk t)))

  :hook (LaTeX-mode . (lambda () (AutoTeX-mode 1)))
  )
```
Though the above method works, I meet a problem when the project LaTeX
files are large to some extent. To be more specific, when the project
is large to a certain extent, the compilation time of latexmk will be
relatively long, which may lead to the following race condition: When
the previous latexmk process has not ended, the subsequent latexmk
process is launched again.

Any hints for fixing this problem?

Regards
Theory and Simulation of Materials
No. 473, Quannan West Street, Xindu District, Xingtai, Hebei province

* Re: Detect latexmk is running on currently buffer.
@ 2021-10-12  9:32 ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-10-12  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hongyi Zhao wrote:

> Though the above method works, I meet a problem when the
> project LaTeX files are large to some extent. To be more
> specific, when the project is large to a certain extent, the
> compilation time of latexmk will be relatively long, which
> may lead to the following race condition: When the previous
> latexmk process has not ended, the subsequent latexmk
> process is launched again.
>
> Any hints for fixing this problem?

I use the "LaTeX mode defined in ‘tex-mode.el’" and there is
an important difference compared to yours, which is in line
with our respective styles, ha.

Anyway with LaTeX have a Makefile and just hammer it ... to
avoid getting institutionalized, don't ONLY do that, do
something else, light work (shell programming, even reading)
on the side, literally, and if/when you forget about LaTeX, do
force yourself to be reminded :)

I've seen calm guys punch into fences and stuff because that
constant recompilation can become a form of
self-torture, almost, soo frustrating. ha

Makefile example:
  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/borta/Makefile

Some helpers:
  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/latex.el

Bibtex:
  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/bibtex-incal.el
  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/bibtex/bibtex-next-volume.el

Very creative TeX, some would say :)
  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/borta/borta.pdf
  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/borta/
  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/hs-linux/docs/report/report.pdf
  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/hs-linux/docs/report/

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: Detect latexmk is running on currently buffer.
@ 2021-10-12 12:08   ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-10-12 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg, help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 5:53 PM Emanuel Berg via Users list for the
GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hongyi Zhao wrote:
>
> > Though the above method works, I meet a problem when the
> > project LaTeX files are large to some extent. To be more
> > specific, when the project is large to a certain extent, the
> > compilation time of latexmk will be relatively long, which
> > may lead to the following race condition: When the previous
> > latexmk process has not ended, the subsequent latexmk
> > process is launched again.
> >
> > Any hints for fixing this problem?
>
> I use the "LaTeX mode defined in ‘tex-mode.el’" and there is
> an important difference compared to yours, which is in line
> with our respective styles, ha.
>
> Anyway with LaTeX have a Makefile and just hammer it ... to
> avoid getting institutionalized, don't ONLY do that, do
> something else, light work (shell programming, even reading)
> on the side, literally, and if/when you forget about LaTeX, do
> force yourself to be reminded :)
>
> I've seen calm guys punch into fences and stuff because that
> constant recompilation can become a form of
> self-torture, almost, soo frustrating. ha
>
> Makefile example:
>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/borta/Makefile
>
> Some helpers:
>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/latex.el
>
> Bibtex:
>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/bibtex-incal.el
>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/bibtex/bibtex-next-volume.el
>
> Very creative TeX, some would say :)
>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/borta/borta.pdf
>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/borta/
>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/hs-linux/docs/report/report.pdf
>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/hs-linux/docs/report/

OMG, wonderful man with wonderful ideas and ELISP treasures!

HZ

* Re: Detect latexmk is running on currently buffer.
@ 2021-10-12 12:15   ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-10-12 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg, help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 5:53 PM Emanuel Berg via Users list for the
GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hongyi Zhao wrote:
>
> > Though the above method works, I meet a problem when the
> > project LaTeX files are large to some extent. To be more
> > specific, when the project is large to a certain extent, the
> > compilation time of latexmk will be relatively long, which
> > may lead to the following race condition: When the previous
> > latexmk process has not ended, the subsequent latexmk
> > process is launched again.
> >
> > Any hints for fixing this problem?
>
> I use the "LaTeX mode defined in ‘tex-mode.el’" and there is
> an important difference compared to yours, which is in line
> with our respective styles, ha.

It's called `latex-mode', as shown by `C-h o latex-mode RET':

latex-mode is an interactive native compiled Lisp function in
‘tex-mode.el’.

(latex-mode)

@ 2021-10-12 12:58     ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-10-12 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hongyi Zhao wrote:

> OMG, wonderful man with wonderful ideas and ELISP treasures!

Well, let's not get carried away here ... but OK, thanks, I'll
take it to prevent the deadlock LOL :)

--

@ 2021-10-12 12:59     ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-10-12 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hongyi Zhao wrote:

>> I use the "LaTeX mode defined in ‘tex-mode.el’" and there
>> is an important difference compared to yours, which is in
>> line with our respective styles, ha.
>
> It's called `latex-mode', as shown by `C-h o latex-mode
> RET':
>
> latex-mode is an interactive native compiled Lisp function
> in ‘tex-mode.el’.
>
> (latex-mode)

OK, so what is the difference between the other mode then?

--

@ 2021-10-12 13:10       ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-10-12 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg, help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 9:00 PM Emanuel Berg via Users list for the
GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hongyi Zhao wrote:
>
> >> I use the "LaTeX mode defined in ‘tex-mode.el’" and there
> >> is an important difference compared to yours, which is in
> >> line with our respective styles, ha.
> >
> > It's called `latex-mode', as shown by `C-h o latex-mode
> > RET':
> >
> > latex-mode is an interactive native compiled Lisp function
> > in ‘tex-mode.el’.
> >
> > (latex-mode)
>
> OK, so what is the difference between the other mode then?

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/reftex/Installation.html

1.1.3 Entering RefTeX Mode

To turn RefTeX Mode on and off in a particular buffer, use M-x
reftex-mode RET. To turn on RefTeX Mode for all LaTeX files, add the
following lines to your .emacs file:

(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'turn-on-reftex)   ; with AUCTeX LaTeX mode
(add-hook 'latex-mode-hook 'turn-on-reftex)   ; with Emacs latex mode

HZ

* Re: Detect latexmk is running on currently buffer.
@ 2021-10-12 13:23         ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-10-12 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hongyi Zhao wrote:

>> OK, so what is the difference between the other mode then?
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/reftex/Installation.html
>
> 1.1.3 Entering RefTeX Mode
>
> To turn RefTeX Mode on and off in a particular buffer, use
> M-x reftex-mode RET. To turn on RefTeX Mode for all LaTeX
> files, add the following lines to your .emacs file:
>
> (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'turn-on-reftex)   ; with AUCTeX LaTeX mode
> (add-hook 'latex-mode-hook 'turn-on-reftex)   ; with Emacs latex mode

0 point awarded.

Yeah, this exam is tough but no one said it was supposed to be
simple ...

--

@ 2021-10-12 17:33           ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-10-12 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'turn-on-reftex)   ; with AUCTeX LaTeX mode
>> (add-hook 'latex-mode-hook 'turn-on-reftex)   ; with Emacs latex mode
>
> 0 point awarded.
>
> Yeah, this exam is tough but no one said it was supposed to
> be simple ...

Ah, I can't find the quote!

It is by S. Monnier anyway. Please tell him (the OP) if/as you
understand what I refer to ...

But I do remember, only I don't want to quote from memory
because my understanding of this is superficial ...

But, it has to do with LaTeX packages and how the different
modes handle that!

B)