Hello, TRAMP hangs the connection for any new processes in both emacs 24.4 and emacs from the master branch when a global minor mode uses a :lighter which evals `(file-truename default-directory)`. To reproduce: M-x find-file buggy-tramp-mode.el M-x eval-buffer M-x global-buggy-tramp-mode M-x find-file /scpx:user@host:/tmp/foo.txt M-x async-shell-command ls The last command (new process) doens't complete and the TRAMP buffer shows "Are you awake?". My understanding of the problem is that `file-truename` tries to use a not-yet-ready TRAMP connection. To work around that was tried is to use `tramp-connectable-p` or even `file-remote-p` with the appropriate flags, but they both (incorrectly?) return true. The "real world" issue that it affects is https://github.com/bbatsov/projectile/issues/523 Please ask if I'm unclear or you need more clarifications. Thanks, Philippe