all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ssh not working with ido
@ 2016-11-15 10:50 Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2016-11-15 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I am unable to ssh into another host using tramp if I use "ido". My procedure of
C-x C-f /ssh:username@host:/home/username/path/to/file works with emacs-25.1. With emacs-26.0.50.1, however, I get the error:

tramp-file-name-handler: Host name must not match method "ssh"

as soon as I enter a colon after /ssh

If I commit out the calls to ido in my ~/.emacs, I can successfully ssh
into a remote host. I would appreciate any suggestions of where to begin
for a work round.

I have tried to revert the commit 6647e ok Nov 14, but it wont let me. I
have also read the  "Connection-local variables can be used to specify
local variables" section in /etc/NEWS, but I don't usefully understand
what I'm reading - sorry.

I am using Debian 3.2.82-1 i686 GNU/Linux.

Colin.

* Re: ssh not working with ido
@ 2016-11-15 12:43 ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2016-11-15 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

The offending line in my ~/.emacs seems to be (ido-mode (quote both)). I
tried (ido-mode t) but that didn't work either.

* Re: ssh not working with ido
@ 2016-11-15 13:02   ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2016-11-15 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

It is ido completions that are causing the problem. If I do C-x C-f /ssh
and at that point do C-f to switch off the completion, I can carry on
successfully with :username@host:/ etc.

I think I have now reached the limit of my emacs ability. Sorry about
the multiple followups.

* Re: ssh not working with ido
@ 2016-11-15 14:59     ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2016-11-15 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Baxter; +Cc: emacs-devel

Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:

> I think I have now reached the limit of my emacs ability. Sorry about
> the multiple followups.

Please file a bug report with as much information as you can.

* Re: ssh not working with ido
@ 2016-11-15 15:28       ` Philippe Vaucher
From: Philippe Vaucher @ 2016-11-15 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Óscar Fuentes; +Cc: Colin Baxter, Emacs developers