I've been using this workaround so far, and it seems to work (like the first option, though): (define-advice show-paren-function (:around (fn) fix) "Highlight enclosing parens." (cond ((looking-at-p "\\s(") (funcall fn)) (t (save-excursion (ignore-errors (backward-up-list)) (funcall fn))))) source I don't know about efficiency, but I haven't tried it in deeply nested blocks. On Mon, May 2, 2022 at 5:04 AM Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote: > José Júnior writes: > > > I didn't know how to answer, so I looked how other editors do. I found > two behaviors: > > > > 1. Unless the point is right by the parens, it should highlight the > curly braces. So in > > this case it would highlight the curly braces. > > > > With the point in these places would highlight the parens, otherwise > would highlight > > the curly braces: > > > > {|(|foobar}|)| > > > > 2. Ignore and don't highlight anything. > > I guess 2) seems more consistent, but I don't have much of an opinion. > Choosing one or the other of the parentheses seems a bit arbitrary. > > -- > (domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.) > bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no >