Thanks, I think it helps as the default `mode-line-buffer-id` face of the active buffer is overridden, and it becomes the "inactive face". I think it solves this problem, but maybe a custom face in the mode-line faces group itself would be more accessible. Another workaround I found was to use the `inverse-video` face option in the `mode-line-inactive` face. It doesn't give me too much freedom to customize the face. On Sat, Jan 29, 2022 at 9:25 PM Drew Adams wrote: > > Mode-line has face options for when it's > > active and inactive but `mode-line-buffer-id` > > just allows customization on the active form, > > please consider adding the option to allow > > customizing the face of the `mode-line-buffer-id` > > when the mode-line is inactive too. > > See library `modeline-win.el'. > Does it do what you're looking for? > > It highlights the buffer name in the > mode-line for the selected window. > > That is, whichever window is currently > selected, its buffer name in the mode > line is highlighted (using face > `mlw-mode-line-buffer-id-selected-window'). > > The code is here: > > https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/modeline-win.el > > It's just a few lines of code. >