In my case, it would be helpful for writing snippets. I missed these functions when I was writing some snippets for some boilerplate code, where in some situations `upcase-initials` was helpful, and so would be `downcase-initials`. I'd guess a `downcase-initials-region` (like `upcase-initials-region`) could be useful in certain cases, like fixing function names in code, or even writing in general, but probably very situational. I understand equivalence alone wouldn't be enough to introduce new commands, but it _feels_ that is missing something having one way but not the other, especially when there's a `upcase-char` but not a `downcase-char`. And about `downcase-region` I don't think it would help in my case because I needed to down case only the initial character of the word, and it's interactive and requires an extra step (marking the region). Anyway, I wrote these functions to fix my issue, maybe it can help someone else: (they probably could be better since I don't know Emacs Lisp well, but worked for me) ``` (defun downcase-char (arg) "Downcasify ARG chars starting from point. Point doesn't move." (interactive "p") (save-excursion (downcase-region (point) (progn (forward-char arg) (point))))) (defun downcase-initial (string) "Downcase initial character of the string." (concat (downcase (substring string 0 1)) (substring string 1))) (defun downcase-initials (string) "Upcase the initial of each word in the string." (mapcar #'downcase-initial (split-string string "[^[:alpha:]]"))) (defun downcase-initials-region (beg end) "Upcase the initial of each word in the region." (interactive "r") (let ((region (buffer-substring-no-properties beg end))) (delete-region beg end) (insert (downcase region)))) ``` On Sat, Jul 15, 2023 at 3:06 AM Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > From: José Júnior > > Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 20:31:42 -0300 > > > > Hi, my suggestion is to add equivalent functions for `upcase-char` and > `upcase-initials` but for > > downcase (`downcase-char` and `downcase-initials`). When I first these > functions, I expected to have > > the downcase equivalent for each of them. > > Thanks. > > In which situations would such commands be useful? We don't introduce > commands just because they are equivalents of others. > > Anyway, we already have downcase-region, which you could use to > downcase any range of characters, including a single character > anywhere in a word. >