Hm, now I cannot reproduce this anymore. But today I got this bug, recompiled Emacs from Git and the bug was still there. Right now I tested Emacs 28 in case I managed to switch them accidentally, but no, also not there. So, either I have mixed something up, or this depends on some volatile state in TRAMP, e.g. its cache. I guess you can close the bug. Paul On Wed, 14 Sept 2022 at 20:08, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote: > Paul Pogonyshev writes: > > > Git commit fd1ee05977. > > > > Open any file with TRAMP. From this buffer, evaluate: > > > > (let ((file buffer-file-name)) (with-temp-buffer > (insert-file-contents file nil))) > > > > This works fine. However, if you use a region: > > > > (let ((file buffer-file-name)) (with-temp-buffer > (insert-file-contents file nil 1 10))) > > > > this fails with an obviously wrong (file is certainly there) signal: > > > > Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-missing "/ssh:...") > > signal(file-missing ("/ssh:...")) > > I tried this recipe with the current trunk, and things worked fine for > me. > > Is it possible that you have an old version of tramp somewhere in your > load path? I seem to vaguely recall that insert-file-contents + > start/end was something that was fixed sometime last year. >