all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Why will the Emacs Wiki not save my edits?
@ 2011-07-02 19:11 Tom Davey
From: Tom Davey @ 2011-07-02 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello everybody,

I am attempting to use the Emacs Wiki for the first time, to update a
page found here:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BackupEachSave

I am following all the rules for a username, style, etc. But I'm
finding that, when supply a value for the Re-Captcha field and click
"Save," my edits are not saved. The page simply refreshes and displays
as it was before. My edits are lost. Nor are they any error messages
or warnings about what I might be doing wrong.

I have tested this repeatedly, answering the CAPTCHA each time,
Previewing first or not, with different browsers and new browser
sessions. But nothing works. In fact, as I repeat the tests, I've
stopped getting the CAPTCHA at all!

I am really stumped. I browsed the EamcsWikiProblems page and this
particular issue isn't mentioned, although there do seem to issues
with cookies and such that are causing other odd behavior with failed
saves. See the commentary on that page by Drew Adams.

I am probably overlooking something quite basic. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom Davey

PS Selecting "Preview" also doesn't render the page, but rather just
shows the editing screen again. Perhaps that's a clue.

--
Tom Davey
tom@tomdavey.com

* Re: Why will the Emacs Wiki not save my edits?
       [not found] <mailman.942.1309642605.785.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2011-07-05  9:21 ` Alex Schroeder
From: Alex Schroeder @ 2011-07-05  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: gnu.emacs.help; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Tom

When I tried it by appending "test" at the end of the page and hitting the Preview button, I got a decent preview. (I also got rid of my admin password before trying it.) It doesn't seem to be a problem with the page content.

The Captcha is only asked once – answering it correctly sets a parameter in the cookie which bypasses it.

Even if you're overlooking something basic nothing in what you wrote suggests anything to me.

You also tried different browsers. The only variable I can think of is a proxy: Sometimes proxies filter out requests they deem to be a security issue. Have you tried from different locations such as from home and from work?

Out of curiosity, have you tried using some of the Emacs based solutions? The one I used for a bit was based on curl, but others also exist:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Yaoddmuse
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/OddmuseMode
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/oddmuse-curl.el

Good luck