all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Just o after C-x o (other-window)
@ 2017-04-20 19:51 Tomas Nordin
From: Tomas Nordin @ 2017-04-20 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi List

I would like the other-window function to behave like text-scale-adjust.
I mean, after hitting `C-x o` to select next window, I want `o` to mean
next-window again. Any other key would escape this minor mode. Did
somebody here by any chance implement that already?

The text-scale-adjust function behaves like that, after `C-x C-+` it is
enough to hit `+` or `-` to further adjust the scaling, which I think is
excellent.

Best regards
--
Tomas Nordin | (The computing freedom explorer)
GPG Key: AB09AF78

* Re: Just o after C-x o (other-window)
@ 2017-04-20 20:04 ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2017-04-20 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomas Nordin, help-gnu-emacs

Have a look at the hydra package.

The hydras can be made as complex as you like:
https://github.com/abo-abo/hydra/wiki/Window-Management :)

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 3:48 PM Tomas Nordin <tomasn@posteo.net> wrote:

> Hi List
>
> I would like the other-window function to behave like text-scale-adjust.
> I mean, after hitting `C-x o` to select next window, I want `o` to mean
> next-window again. Any other key would escape this minor mode. Did
> somebody here by any chance implement that already?
>
> The text-scale-adjust function behaves like that, after `C-x C-+` it is
> enough to hit `+` or `-` to further adjust the scaling, which I think is
> excellent.
>
> Best regards
> --
> Tomas Nordin | (The computing freedom explorer)
> GPG Key: AB09AF78
>
> --

Kaushal Modi

* Re: Just o after C-x o (other-window)
@ 2017-04-20 22:44 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2017-04-20 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tomas Nordin <tomasn@posteo.net> writes:

> Hi List
>
> I would like the other-window function to behave like text-scale-adjust.
> I mean, after hitting `C-x o` to select next window, I want `o` to mean
> next-window again. Any other key would escape this minor mode. Did
> somebody here by any chance implement that already?

Not this, but my all-time favorite basic Emacs customization is
re-binding "M-o" to `other-window'. With that customization, all you
need to do is hold down the meta key and keep whacking "o" to cycle
through all the visible windows. And who needs the fonts thing anyway!

* RE: Just o after C-x o (other-window)
@ 2017-04-20 23:23 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2017-04-20 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomas Nordin, help-gnu-emacs

> I would like the other-window function to behave like text-scale-adjust.
> I mean, after hitting `C-x o` to select next window, I want `o` to mean
> next-window again. Any other key would escape this minor mode. Did
> somebody here by any chance implement that already?
>
> The text-scale-adjust function behaves like that, after `C-x C-+` it is
> enough to hit `+` or `-` to further adjust the scaling, which I think is
> excellent.

(defun other-window-repeat ()
  "Repeatable `other-window'."
  (interactive)
  (require 'repeat)
  (repeat-command 'other-window))

(defun repeat-command (command)
  "Repeat COMMAND."
  (let ((repeat-message-function  'ignore))
    (setq last-repeatable-command  command)
    (repeat nil)))

(global-set-key [remap other-window] 'other-window-repeat)

Then just use `C-x o o o o o ...'

* Re: Just o after C-x o (other-window)
@ 2017-04-21 20:48   ` Tomas Nordin
From: Tomas Nordin @ 2017-04-21 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen, help-gnu-emacs

> Not this, but my all-time favorite basic Emacs customization is
> re-binding "M-o" to `other-window'. With that customization, all you
> need to do is hold down the meta key and keep whacking "o" to cycle
> through all the visible windows. And who needs the fonts thing anyway!

Good point, certainly an aproach

* RE: Just o after C-x o (other-window)
@ 2017-04-21 20:55   ` Tomas Nordin
From: Tomas Nordin @ 2017-04-21 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams, help-gnu-emacs

>> I would like the other-window function to behave like text-scale-adjust.
>> I mean, after hitting `C-x o` to select next window, I want `o` to mean
>> next-window again. Any other key would escape this minor mode. Did
>> somebody here by any chance implement that already?
>>
>> The text-scale-adjust function behaves like that, after `C-x C-+` it is
>> enough to hit `+` or `-` to further adjust the scaling, which I think is
>> excellent.
>
> (defun other-window-repeat ()
>   "Repeatable `other-window'."
>   (interactive)
>   (require 'repeat)
>   (repeat-command 'other-window))
>
> (defun repeat-command (command)
>   "Repeat COMMAND."
>   (let ((repeat-message-function  'ignore))
>     (setq last-repeatable-command  command)
>     (repeat nil)))
>
> (global-set-key [remap other-window] 'other-window-repeat)
>
> Then just use `C-x o o o o o ...'

Nice, exactly the answer I was hoping for. Thanks, this behaviour fits
my brain somehow.