Thanks. Yes, I had then ended up replacing all my write-file-functions add-hooks with before-save-hook: https://github.com/kaushalmodi/.emacs.d/commit/d89d6333f0978d7fda4af412ecaa5089812b7e26 -- Kaushal Modi On Sep 16, 2015 9:54 PM, "Stefan Monnier" wrote: > > I also have now started using before-save-hook instead of > > write-file-functions where I don't care about the return values of the > > functions added to the hook. > > BTW, the use of before-save-hook is not just so you don't have to care > about the return value. It's also because some functions on > write-file-functions may not be run at all (if some earlier function > returns non-nil because it took care of performing the write). > > So even adding a "nil" at the of your function doesn't make it right to > add it to write-file-functions. > > > Stefan >