all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* DWIM when yanking strings with leading or trailing spaces - an idea
@ 2016-03-03 19:31 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2016-03-03 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi folks,

take this example:

Lorem ipsum -!-dolor sit amet.

As usual, -!- denotes the point (which can be here because e.g. of an
earlier C-left).

Now press C-backspace, C-right, C-y.

This is the result:

Lorem doloripsum  sit amet.

Some other text processing software, whose name will not be mentioned,
does "the right thing" in such a case, i.e., produces

Lorem dolor ipsum sit amet.

Why couldn't Emacs do this?  Of course, optionally.  I could spend some
time working on this issue, and e.g. submit the result to Elpa.  Would
anyone be interested?

Of course, this particular example is rather bad, since a simple M-t
would do.  But you get the idea, and quite often transposing is not
enough, e.g., when you want to transform

aaa bbb ccc ddd eee fff

into

aaa ddd eee bbb ccc fff

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: DWIM when yanking strings with leading or trailing spaces - an idea
@ 2016-03-03 19:45 ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2016-03-03 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Here's a solution someone posted on emacs.SE:
http://emacs.stackexchange.com/a/13742/115

* Re: DWIM when yanking strings with leading or trailing spaces - an idea
       [not found] <mailman.6655.1457033503.843.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2016-03-03 23:25 ` Joost Kremers
       [not found]   ` <mailman.6683.1457071595.843.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joost Kremers @ 2016-03-03 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

,----
| aaa bbb ccc ddd! eee fff
`----

M-- M-2 M-t M-3 M-f M-- M-2 M-t

Et voilà! ;-)

--
Joost Kremers                                   joostkremers@fastmail.fm
EN:SiS(9)

* Re: DWIM when yanking strings with leading or trailing spaces - an idea
@ 2016-03-04  6:06   ` Marcin Borkowski
       [not found]   ` <mailman.6683.1457071595.843.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2016-03-04  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kremers; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2016-03-04, at 00:25, Joost Kremers <joost.m.kremers@gmail.com> wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski wrote:
>> aaa bbb ccc ddd eee fff
>>
>> into

>> aaa ddd eee bbb ccc fff
>

> ,----
> | aaa bbb ccc ddd! eee fff
> `----
>
> M-- M-2 M-t M-3 M-f M-- M-2 M-t
>
> Et voilà! ;-)

OK, I can also prove that every permutation can be decomposed into
a superposition of transpositions.

;-)

--

@ 2016-03-04  8:50     ` Joost Kremers
       [not found]       ` <mailman.6691.1457083030.843.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joost Kremers @ 2016-03-04  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

EN:SiS(9)
Marcin Borkowski wrote:
> OK, I can also prove that every permutation can be decomposed into
> a superposition of transpositions.
>
> ;-)

By all means. ;-)

I just wanted to say (but perhaps I should actually have said it ;-)
that I personally rarely find myself wishing Emacs would insert that
extra space. I either use transpose-words couple of times, with or
without prefix arguments, or I kill the relevant word together with a
space before or after and yank it in such a way that that space is in
the right position. (I admit I get it wrong sometimes...)

What I do run into from time to time, is wanting to transpose clauses
within a sentence and having to manually adjust the punctuation and
possibly an "and" or an "or". But I suspect we'll have to plug Emacs
into Skynet first before it can be taught to autocorrect such cases.

Anyway, my opinion shouldn't stop you from creating such a package, of
course. I mean, it bugs you, so that should be enough of a reason,

right? ;-)

--

@ 2016-03-04  9:11       ` Marcin Borkowski
       [not found]       ` <mailman.6691.1457083030.843.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2016-03-04  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kremers; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2016-03-04, at 09:50, Joost Kremers <joost.m.kremers@gmail.com> wrote:

> EN:SiS(9)
> Marcin Borkowski wrote:
>> OK, I can also prove that every permutation can be decomposed into
>> a superposition of transpositions.
>>
>> ;-)
>
> By all means. ;-)
>
> I just wanted to say (but perhaps I should actually have said it ;-)
> that I personally rarely find myself wishing Emacs would insert that
> extra space. I either use transpose-words couple of times, with or
> without prefix arguments, or I kill the relevant word together with a
> space before or after and yank it in such a way that that space is in
> the right position. (I admit I get it wrong sometimes...)

And in my case, the problem happens more often.  The reason is that
I work in a journal as a copyeditor/proofreader, and I move around whole
clauses quite a lot.

> What I do run into from time to time, is wanting to transpose clauses
> within a sentence and having to manually adjust the punctuation and
> possibly an "and" or an "or". But I suspect we'll have to plug Emacs
> into Skynet first before it can be taught to autocorrect such cases.

In one case, it's easy: I have a function which inserts a dash, killing
any other punctuation in that place, and if region is active, it
surrounds it with dashes.  /Extremely/ useful.  Also, this:
http://mbork.pl/2015-10-31_Smart_comma_and_other_punctuation .

> Anyway, my opinion shouldn't stop you from creating such a package, of
> course. I mean, it bugs you, so that should be enough of a reason,
>
> right? ;-)

Yes and no.  It's on the limit of the "automation horizon" (see
https://xkcd.com/1205/) ;-)

Best,

--

@ 2016-03-04  9:45         ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2016-03-04  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Marcin Borkowski wrote:
> In one case, it's easy: I have a function which inserts a dash, killing
> any other punctuation in that place, and if region is active, it
> surrounds it with dashes.  /Extremely/ useful.  Also, this:
> http://mbork.pl/2015-10-31_Smart_comma_and_other_punctuation .

Nice.

For me, though, this:

,----
| And now that I have this, I think I could do a similar thing with C-t,
| so that it transposes two chars before the point (as opposed as two
| chars around the point) if there is a space before the point.
`----

would be a bad idea, because I often use `transpose-chars' to correct
things like "th emistake". Which I unfortunately type quite often...

>> Anyway, my opinion shouldn't stop you from creating such a package, of
>> course. I mean, it bugs you, so that should be enough of a reason,
>>
>> right? ;-)
>
> Yes and no.  It's on the limit of the "automation horizon" (see
> https://xkcd.com/1205/) ;-)

So you basically posted your question looking for an excuse to do some
coding? ;-)

--

@ 2016-03-04 12:57           ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2016-03-04 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kremers; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2016-03-04, at 10:45, Joost Kremers <joost.m.kremers@gmail.com> wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski wrote:
>> In one case, it's easy: I have a function which inserts a dash, killing
>> any other punctuation in that place, and if region is active, it
>> surrounds it with dashes.  /Extremely/ useful.  Also, this:
>> http://mbork.pl/2015-10-31_Smart_comma_and_other_punctuation .
>
> Nice.

Thanks!

> For me, though, this:
>
> ,----
> | And now that I have this, I think I could do a similar thing with C-t,
> | so that it transposes two chars before the point (as opposed as two
> | chars around the point) if there is a space before the point.
> `----
>
> would be a bad idea, because I often use `transpose-chars' to correct
> things like "th emistake". Which I unfortunately type quite often...

Ah, I see.  I seldom make this kind of mistake.  Though it turned out
I didn't do that anyway.

>>> Anyway, my opinion shouldn't stop you from creating such a package, of
>>> course. I mean, it bugs you, so that should be enough of a reason,
>>>
>>> right? ;-)
>>
>> Yes and no.  It's on the limit of the "automation horizon" (see
>> https://xkcd.com/1205/) ;-)
>
> So you basically posted your question looking for an excuse to do some
> coding? ;-)

Exactly. ;-) As Emperor Palpatine once put it, "now feel the power of
procrastination!"

Best,