@Stefan I actually like the hassle-free install process. If I mark stuff with `i` or `U` followed by `x`, I mean to download and install those packages in one go. I have been spoilt by how it is currently; would be good to at least have an option to keep it that way. @Dmitry I have never needed to do `C-g` while an installation is going on. But I can understand how that can cause problem. @Bozhidar I also like the clutter-free installation process, without the compilaiton buffer popping up. If the "Transaction started" message is cryptic, it can probably be replaced with something that indicates that package(s) are being installed; or something like below? Package Manager: In progress [upgrade(), install(), delete()] ... Once everything is done, Package Manager: Done [Upgraded(), Installed(), Deleted()]. @Artur Regarding the 3 options: 1. I wouldn't mind that as I can always enable that in my emacs config 2. Can't comment on this as I don't understand the how-to or implications of using a "background process" 3. I believe that people who have the Paradox package installed wouldn't be affected by this right? -- Kaushal Modi On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 10:00 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote: > >> 1. Keep the feature but disable by default. Async refreshing would still > >> be enabled. > > I'd rather we not keep options for behavior nobody has specifically > > asked for. > > I asked for it. But after using it I agree that it sucks UI-wise. > I think to make it work better, we'd need to make the download and the > install more separate. E.g. when the download is done, rather than go > ahead and perform the install, inform the user that the download is done > and the install process can proceed, but wait for the user to > explicitly say "install now". > > > Stefan > >