all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to save setup of default font?
@ 2016-07-09 13:11 Csányi Pál
From: Csányi Pál @ 2016-07-09 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

in my GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.7)

I want to save the text font which I just set up.

I do `S-down-mouse-1’ to see the font and fontset menu
and here I click on:
Change Text Font > Misc > lucidasanstypewriter-12.

But when I close Emacs with C-X C-C and after that I start Emacs
again, I must to set this font again.

I tried this too:
from graphical menu choose:
Options > Set Default Font > Misc > lucidasanstypewriter-12
and after that from graphical menu choose:
Options > Save Options

but that does not help to keep this setting after close and reopen Emacs.

How can I save this font to be the default?

--
Best, Pali

* Re: How to save setup of default font?
@ 2016-07-09 14:09 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-07-09 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Csányi Pál <csanyipal@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2016 15:11:38 +0200
>
> I do `S-down-mouse-1’ to see the font and fontset menu
> and here I click on:
> Change Text Font > Misc > lucidasanstypewriter-12.

This doesn't change the default font, it only changes the font used to
display the current buffer.

> But when I close Emacs with C-X C-C and after that I start Emacs
> again, I must to set this font again.

As expected.

> I tried this too:
> from graphical menu choose:
> Options > Set Default Font > Misc > lucidasanstypewriter-12
> and after that from graphical menu choose:
> Options > Save Options
>
> but that does not help to keep this setting after close and reopen Emacs.

This does work for me in Emacs 24.5, so maybe you started Emacs with
"emacs -Q" or something.  Otherwise, when you click "Save Options",
you should see a message in the echo area saying that your .emacs file
was saved, and the new setting should be recorded there.

* Re: How to save setup of default font?
@ 2016-07-09 14:25   ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2016-07-09 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Have you set the custom-file option by any chance?  If so you need to make
sure to load that file in your config.

Talking about config, if you have a ~/.emacs file, that will be loaded by
default by emacs. If that file is not present, and if you have a
~/.emacs.d/init.el, then init.el will be loaded by emacs.

Let's say you have a ~/.emacs file and you have *not* set the custom-file
option.  In that case, when you save options, you should see some
configuration code saved automatically by emacs in the ~/.emacs file. (The
same applies to the ~/.emacs.d/init.el file *if* ~/.emacs file is absent.)

> From: Csányi Pál <csanyipal@gmail.com>
> > I tried this too:
> > from graphical menu choose:
> > Options > Set Default Font > Misc > lucidasanstypewriter-12
> > and after that from graphical menu choose:
> > Options > Save Options
> >
> > but that does not help to keep this setting after close and reopen Emacs.

Kaushal Modi

* Re: How to save setup of default font?
@ 2016-07-09 14:39     ` Csányi Pál
From: Csányi Pál @ 2016-07-09 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Have you set the custom-file option by any chance?  If so you need to make
> sure to load that file in your config.

No, I did not.

> Talking about config, if you have a ~/.emacs file, that will be loaded by
> default by emacs. If that file is not present, and if you have a
> ~/.emacs.d/init.el, then init.el will be loaded by emacs.

I have ~/.emacs file.

> Let's say you have a ~/.emacs file and you have *not* set the custom-file
> option.  In that case, when you save options, you should see some
> configuration code saved automatically by emacs in the ~/.emacs file. (The
> same applies to the ~/.emacs.d/init.el file *if* ~/.emacs file is absent.)

I have not set the custom-file option.

It happens frequently that that I get a blank page eg. of ~/.emacs
file or of other file that was opened already.
How can that happen?

--
Best, Pali