I believe that the "beginner" here in question is not someone who just started using emacs but a beginner contributor who is already comfortable with emacs and is interested in contributing to the C code but isn't because there isn't enough "Getting started with C tinkering in emacs" documentation. I like the points that Xue made there with an example of what a "beginner" would go through when trying to understand the display engine. -- Kaushal Modi On Sep 24, 2015 4:35 AM, "David Kastrup" wrote: > Xue Fuqiao writes: > > > BTW, I was just trying making an analysis of the this problem, and of > > course my analysis could be wrong. Do you have any idea why newcomers > > mostly prefer working on application-level code in Lisp? > > In my opinion that's a feature, not a bug. Elisp is there for a reason. > > > (Let's try and stay constructive. If we can find the causes, then we > > have the possibility to improve the current condition.) > > We have Elisp exactly in order not to have to address problems by > reverting to C programming. In my opinion it is entirely the wrong idea > to have people start solving problems in C because they prefer it to > Elisp. The main reason to solve problems in C is because there is no > reasonably workable solution to be created in Elisp. If beginners turn > to C first, they will not even know whether there would be a reasonably > workable solution available in Elisp. > > Elisp code can be debugged reasonably nicely, manages its memory and > data structures reliably. It's concise, memory-efficient and > expressive. > > -- > David Kastrup > >