all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Question Regarding Exporting A Single 'blog.org' File With Subheadings To Multiple Separate Markdown Files
@ 2022-06-13 14:44 Samuel Banya
From: Samuel Banya @ 2022-06-13 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg

Hello,

I am converting my blog to utilize 'ox-hugo' so that I can convert my single 'blog.org' file with multiple headings that each have a date for the heading name into their own separate Markdown files.

Ex for contents of 'blog.org'
```
* June 13, 2022
Something that I did today
```

When I go to export this, I hit C-c C-e, and then hit 'H' (Export to Hugo-compatible markdown) and then 'A' (All subtrees (or File) to Md file(s)'.

The end result however is just a single 'blog.md' file with all of the individual posts.

Am I doing something wrong within this workflow?

Or do I have to actually place all of these individual posts into their own .org files accordingly?

My config for reference is here:
https://github.com/SamuelBanya/SamsEmacs/blob/main/configuration.org

Thanks,

Sam

* Re: Question Regarding Exporting A Single 'blog.org' File With Subheadings To Multiple Separate Markdown Files
@ 2022-06-13 14:57 ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2022-06-13 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Banya; +Cc: Emanuel Berg

On Mon, Jun 13, 2022 at 10:48 AM Samuel Banya <sbanya@fastmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am converting my blog to utilize 'ox-hugo' so that I can convert my single 'blog.org' file with multiple headings that each have a date for the heading name into their own separate Markdown files.
> Am I doing something wrong within this workflow?

If you are following the "subtree based export flow", you will need to
add the EXPORT_FILE_NAME property for each subtree you want to export
as a post. See this minimal example in the ox-hugo Quick Start guide:
https://ox-hugo.scripter.co/doc/quick-start/#code-snippet--basic-post-in-org

Also see these:

https://ox-hugo.scripter.co/#before-you-export

https://ox-hugo.scripter.co/doc/usage/#for-both-one-post-per-subtree-and-one-post-per-file-flows:

@ 2022-06-13 17:00   ` Samuel Banya
From: Samuel Banya @ 2022-06-13 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaushal Modi; +Cc: Emanuel Berg

Awesome thanks for this reference.

I wonder, would it make sense to name them in such a way that they could be ordered, or is Hugo smart enough to just pick up the latest posts based on export date?

Either way, thanks for leading me in the right direction, great reference.

Sincerely,

Sam

@ 2022-06-13 17:12     ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2022-06-13 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Banya; +Cc: Emanuel Berg

On Mon, Jun 13, 2022 at 1:00 PM Samuel Banya <sbanya@fastmail.com> wrote:

> Awesome thanks for this reference.

You're welcome! :)

> I wonder, would it make sense to name them in such a way that they could be ordered, or is Hugo smart enough to just pick up the latest posts based on export date?

I believe Hugo orders the posts by date by default (newest posts first).
But of course, Hugo gives you a lot of control and you can tweak how
to can order your posts in your Hugo templates. See
https://gohugo.io/templates/lists/#order-content.

The Hugo templating discussion would fall out of the scope of this
list. I would suggest taking Hugo templating questions to
https://discourse.gohugo.io/. I learned a lot from that forum.
As for ox-hugo questions, feel free to open a discussion on
https://github.com/kaushalmodi/ox-hugo/discussions.

Good luck!