all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to get the concated characters in Indic languages like Gujarati/Hindi?
@ 2018-08-13 22:32 Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2018-08-13 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I was browsing the etc/HELLO, and saw that "Namaste" in Gujarati is shown
as 4 separate characters instead of (for a lack of better way to express
this) 3.5 characters.

I see: "ન" (1), "મ" (1), "સ્" (1), "તે " (1 - I know that this is
technically not 1 char).

It should be seen as: "ન" (1), "મ" (1), "સ્તે " (1.5)

[And the same for Hindi नमस्ते too.]

I have built Emacs for the latest master and it's built with LIBOTF and
M17N_FLT features:

Emacs version: GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 4, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+
Version 2.24.23)
 of 2018-08-13, built using commit eb787d749f28583906428269b926fa83aef092b9.

./configure options:
  --with-modules --prefix=/home/kmodi/usr_local/apps/6/emacs/master
'--program-transform-name=s/^ctags$/ctags_emacs/'
--enable-checking=yes,glyphs --enable-check-lisp-object-type
'CPPFLAGS=-I/home/kmodi/stowed/include -I/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/include
-I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include' 'CFLAGS=-ggdb3 -O0'
'CXXFLAGS=-ggdb3 -O0' 'LDFLAGS=-L/home/kmodi/stowed/lib
-L/home/kmodi/stowed/lib64 -L/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/lib
-L/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/lib64 -ggdb3'

Features:
  XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK2 X11 MODULES THREADS GMP

- Is there any missing library that's causing this?
--

Kaushal Modi

* Re: How to get the concated characters in Indic languages like Gujarati/Hindi?
       [not found] <mailman.5070.1534199595.1292.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2018-08-14  4:49 ` Rusi
From: Rusi @ 2018-08-14  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tuesday, August 14, 2018 at 4:03:18 AM UTC+5:30, Kaushal Modi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was browsing the etc/HELLO, and saw that "Namaste" in Gujarati is shown
> as 4 separate characters instead of (for a lack of better way to express
> this) 3.5 characters.
>
> I see: "ન" (1), "મ" (1), "સ્" (1), "તે " (1 - I know that this is
> technically not 1 char).
>
> It should be seen as: "ન" (1), "મ" (1), "સ્તે " (1.5)
>
> [And the same for Hindi नमस्ते too.]

[Not sure it constitutes an answer…]
Had a similar issue with tamil the other day
Fished around in the (ubuntu) repos for tamil fonts
After installing something (dont remember what!) and restarting emacs the problem vanished/reduced

* Re: How to get the concated characters in Indic languages like Gujarati/Hindi?
@ 2018-08-14 14:31   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-08-14 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2018 21:49:54 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com>
>
> On Tuesday, August 14, 2018 at 4:03:18 AM UTC+5:30, Kaushal Modi wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I was browsing the etc/HELLO, and saw that "Namaste" in Gujarati is shown
> > as 4 separate characters instead of (for a lack of better way to express
> > this) 3.5 characters.
> >
> > I see: "ન" (1), "મ" (1), "સ્" (1), "તે " (1 - I know that this is
> > technically not 1 char).
> >
> > It should be seen as: "ન" (1), "મ" (1), "સ્તે " (1.5)
> >
> > [And the same for Hindi नमस्ते too.]
>
> [Not sure it constitutes an answer…]
> Had a similar issue with tamil the other day
> Fished around in the (ubuntu) repos for tamil fonts
> After installing something (dont remember what!) and restarting emacs the problem vanished/reduced

Yes, this is likely to be a problem with the required font not being
installed.

* Re: How to get the concated characters in Indic languages like Gujarati/Hindi?
@ 2018-08-14 15:20     ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2018-08-14 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 10:32 AM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> Yes, this is likely to be a problem with the required font not being
> installed.

It does not seem to be a font issue. The default font picked up by Emacs is
Lohit Gujarati. See this image[0]. The same "નમસ્તે" string is rendering
incorrectly in the Emacs buffer, while shows up as expected in LibreOffice
5.2.5.1 when using the same font.

How do I specify the font to be used for specific glyphs (like only the the
Gujarati glyph Unicodes)? I can try different fonts. But I expect the
result to be the same in Emacs. That sample Gujarati string renders fine in
LibreOffice for few Gujarati fonts I had at hand.

[0]: https://i.imgtc.com/7a3MVDL.png
--

@ 2018-08-14 16:22       ` Andy Moreton
From: Andy Moreton @ 2018-08-14 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue 14 Aug 2018, Kaushal Modi wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 10:32 AM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>

>> Yes, this is likely to be a problem with the required font not being
>> installed.
>>

> It does not seem to be a font issue. The default font picked up by Emacs is
> Lohit Gujarati. See this image[0]. The same "નમસ્તે" string is rendering
> incorrectly in the Emacs buffer, while shows up as expected in LibreOffice
> 5.2.5.1 when using the same font.
>
> How do I specify the font to be used for specific glyphs (like only the the
> Gujarati glyph Unicodes)? I can try different fonts. But I expect the
> result to be the same in Emacs. That sample Gujarati string renders fine in
> LibreOffice for few Gujarati fonts I had at hand.
>
> [0]: https://i.imgtc.com/7a3MVDL.png

Try something like:

  (set-fontset-font "fontset-default" 'gujarati "Lohit Gujarati")

HTH,

    AndyM

* Re: How to get the concated characters in Indic languages like Gujarati/Hindi?
@ 2018-08-14 17:00       ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2018-08-14 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 11:20 AM Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com>
wrote:

> It does not seem to be a font issue.

I got this fixed finally. It wasn't a font issue. I was missing the m17n_db
installation on my system (RHEL 6.8). I used this script to successfully
install m17n lib + m17n_db: https://ptpb.pw/kBCt/bash .

How do I specify the font to be used for specific glyphs (like only the the
> Gujarati glyph Unicodes)?

I am still curious about this question.. how would I specify which font to
use for Gujarati glyphs?

Thanks.
--

@ 2018-08-14 17:52         ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2018-08-14 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Andy Moreton; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 1:29 PM Andy Moreton <andrewjmoreton@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Try something like:
>
>   (set-fontset-font "fontset-default" 'gujarati "Lohit Gujarati")

That's perfect! Thank you.

I downloaded couple of Gujarati fonts from here:
http://www.lipikaar.com/support/download-unicode-fonts-for-gujarati, and
was successfully able to switch through them.

Note to self: From C-h f set-fontset-font, TARGET is what's being set to
'gujarati here.

> TARGET may be a script symbol.  In that case, use FONT-SPEC for
> all the characters that belong to the script.  See the variable
> ‘script-representative-chars’ for the list of known scripts.

So to get a list of valid scripts/languages:

(message "%S"
         (mapcar (lambda (lst) (car lst)) script-representative-chars))
--

@ 2018-08-15 15:10       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-08-15 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2018 11:20:56 -0400
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> It does not seem to be a font issue. The default font picked up by Emacs is Lohit Gujarati. See this image[0].
> The same "નમસ્તે" string is rendering incorrectly in the Emacs buffer, while shows up as expected in
> LibreOffice 5.2.5.1 when using the same font.

FWIW, it's rendered correctly here (with a different font), so it is
not entirely an Emacs issue, either.

> How do I specify the font to be used for specific glyphs (like only the the Gujarati glyph Unicodes)?

With set-fontset-font.

> I can try
> different fonts. But I expect the result to be the same in Emacs. That sample Gujarati string renders fine in
> LibreOffice for few Gujarati fonts I had at hand.

Then perhaps try upgrading your m17n-db, libm17n-flt and libotf
libraries, they are the text-shaping engine Emacs uses on GNU/Linux.