all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to fix the code block fonts for mobile rendered manual web pages?
@ 2015-10-20 20:12 Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2015-10-20 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

Is this the right place to address this issue?

At times, I read some HTML nodes of the emacs/elisp manuals on my
smartphone. They render well only except for the code blocks. The fonts for
those blocks are very small compared to the rest of the text. I have
attached a screenshot.

Can that please be fixed?

--
Kaushal Modi

[-- Attachment #2: Screenshot_2015-10-20-16-08-05.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 223760 bytes --]

* Re: How to fix the code block fonts for mobile rendered manual web pages?
@ 2015-10-20 23:48 ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2015-10-20 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaushal Modi; +Cc: Emacs developers

> At times, I read some HTML nodes of the emacs/elisp manuals on my
> smartphone. They render well only except for the code blocks. The fonts for
> those blocks are very small compared to the rest of the text. I have
> attached a screenshot.

I think this would be a Texinfo issue, since Emacs itself doesn't do the
rendering to HTML.

John

* Re: How to fix the code block fonts for mobile rendered manual web pages?
@ 2015-10-20 23:55   ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2015-10-20 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

I was curious if there was something like CSS code in the emacs
documentation that would be able to control the code block fonts.. Just as
you can attach CSS to org->html exports.

@ 2015-10-21  2:53     ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2015-10-21  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaushal Modi; +Cc: Emacs developers

Please do not top-post.

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 5:55 AM, Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was curious if there was something like CSS code in the emacs
> documentation that would be able to control the code block fonts.. Just as
> you can attach CSS to org->html exports.

I see nothing in the CSS that would make the font size of code blocks
smaller than that of body text.

What does your smartphone browser do to a simple unstyled HTML page,
like the one below?

<!DOCTYPE html>

* Re: How to fix the code block fonts for mobile rendered manual web pages?
@ 2015-10-21  3:47       ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2015-10-21  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuri Khan; +Cc: Emacs developers

In that case (using your example) it looks like the attached. Both body and
pre text are small, but about the same size.

If no one else is seeing this issue, then I probably need to change the
browser for reading the GNU manual nodes. I am seeing this on the Android
Chrome browser.

About not "top-posting", I had to google to understand what that meant :) I
am replying from the Gmail app and this time I unchecked the "Quote text"
checkbox which is always checked by default.. hope that helps this time.

[-- Attachment #2: Screenshot_2015-10-20-23-42-18.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 38574 bytes --]

* Re: How to fix the code block fonts for mobile rendered manual web pages?
@ 2015-10-21  3:51       ` Random832
From: Random832 @ 2015-10-21  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> writes:
> What does your smartphone browser do to a simple unstyled HTML page,
> like the one below?

It probably doesn't help that smartphone browsers can get *weird* about
sizes. There may be something that can be added to the HTML or the CSS
or both to declare the page "mobile-aware" and get more sane behavior.

* Re: How to fix the code block fonts for mobile rendered manual web pages?
@ 2015-10-21  3:52         ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2015-10-21  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuri Khan; +Cc: Emacs developers

Well, it was an issue with the Chrome browser.

The same page looks great on Naked Browser (
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fevdev.nakedbrowserpro).
Screenshot attached.

Sorry for the noise. But thanks for that nudge for getting me thinking.

[-- Attachment #2: Screenshot_2015-10-20-23-50-22.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 252526 bytes --]

* Re: How to fix the code block fonts for mobile rendered manual web pages?
@ 2015-10-21  4:21           ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2015-10-21  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuri Khan; +Cc: Emacs developers

It looks like "smallexample" class is used for all? code blocks in the
manual.

We also have an emacs specific manual.css:
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual.css

I also quickly looked through https://www.gnu.org/combo.css and
https://www.gnu.org/layout.css but didn't find anything related to
"smallexample".

But I don't know enough css to say how the smallexample class should be
formatted so that it looks good on any browser/screen. Hopefully someone
with a know-how on this topic can chime in.

* Re: How to fix the code block fonts for mobile rendered manual web pages?
@ 2015-10-21  4:26         ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2015-10-21  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaushal Modi; +Cc: Emacs developers, Yuri Khan

Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com> writes:

> About not "top-posting", I had to google to understand what that meant
> :) I am replying from the Gmail app and this time I unchecked the
> "Quote text" checkbox which is always checked by default.. hope that
> helps this time.

"Quote text" is a good _starting_ point for a reply referencing the
original content, and Google leaves the cursor at the start of the
quoted area.  You now leave only those parts in your reply that you are
actually reponding to, responding right after them.

Be sure to remove _everything_ that isn't relevant or referenced (but
please do not pretend it never was written in the first place: that
happens surprisingly often on this list, so make sure what you delete
really isn't relevant to your reply): that's a courtesy to the readers,
saving them from having to reread a lot of stuff that has no bearing on
the discussion, but still making it possible to understand your current
point from just reading the current message.

As long as you understand "Quote text" as the _starting_ point of
working with the context of the original mail, it is fine.

--
David Kastrup