all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Where do I find the emacs-module.h after make install?
@ 2018-06-21 14:44 Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2018-06-21 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I am building using the latest emacs master with the --with-modules option.
The emacs-module.h is getting built in the src/ dir in the build folder.

But make install is not copying that file to a hierarchy in the
installation destination.. should it? I thought it should get copied to an
include/ directory, but it's not.

For now, it seems like one needs to manually build emacs themselves and
refer to the src/emacs-module.h if they want to use the Modules feature. Is
that right?

--

Kaushal Modi

* Re: Where do I find the emacs-module.h after make install?
@ 2018-06-21 14:52 ` Mike Rosset
From: Mike Rosset @ 2018-06-21 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Kaushal,

emacs-module.h is not installed with make install. You can get it from the
dist tarball, or git version control. The easiest way it with wget like so.

wget "http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/plain/src/emacs-module.h?h=emacs-25.2"
-O emacs-module.h

I use this method in my go lang emacs module guide see
https://mrosset.github.io/emacs-module/. If you need a more
comprehensive example

Mike

@ 2018-06-21 14:58   ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2018-06-21 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Mike,

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 10:52 AM Mike Rosset <mike.rosset@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Kaushal,
>
> emacs-module.h is not installed with make install. You can get it from the
> dist tarball, or git version control. The easiest way it with wget like so.
>
> wget "http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/plain/src/emacs-module.h?h=emacs-25.2" -O emacs-module.h

Great! Thank you!

@Eli Is this is bug? For folks building emacs locally and having
version-specific install folders, it would be nice to have version-specific
emacs-module.h copied to their respective include/ directories, right?

I use this method in my go lang emacs module guide see
> https://mrosset.github.io/emacs-module/. If you need a more comprehensive example
>
> Thanks! I am trying to get Nim working with Emacs Modules. Your Go-based
tutorial should be useful :)

For anyone interested, this[1] is what I am trying to tackle at the moment.

[1]: https://github.com/yuutayamada/nim-emacs-module/issues/2
--

@ 2018-06-21 15:01     ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2018-06-21 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 10:58 AM Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 10:52 AM Mike Rosset <mike.rosset@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello Kaushal,
>>
>> emacs-module.h is not installed with make install. You can get it from
>> the dist tarball, or git version control. The easiest way it with wget like
>> so.
>>
>> wget "http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/plain/src/emacs-module.h?h=emacs-25.2" -O emacs-module.h
>>

> Great! Thank you!
>
> @Eli Is this is bug? For folks building emacs locally and having
> version-specific install folders, it would be nice to have version-specific
> emacs-module.h copied to their respective include/ directories, right?

Additionally, the emacs 26.1 release does not have the emacs-module.h too:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/src?h=emacs-26.1

I see only emacs-module.h.in in there.
--

@ 2018-06-21 15:07       ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2018-06-21 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 11:01 AM Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Additionally, the emacs 26.1 release does not have the emacs-module.h too:
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/src?h=emacs-26.1
>
> I see only emacs-module.h.in in there.

Correction: The "emacs 26.1" tagged git repo does not have emacs-module.h
(should it?).

The release tarball has it: https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/emacs-26.1.tar.xz
--

@ 2018-06-21 15:11       ` Mike Rosset
From: Mike Rosset @ 2018-06-21 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> @Eli Is this is bug? For folks building emacs locally and having
>> version-specific install folders, it would be nice to have version-specific
>> emacs-module.h copied to their respective include/ directories, right?
>>

> It's not a bug since emacs modules are runtime loaded. All you need is the
header to compile. Emacs then dynamic loads the module using a common entry
point. This may be subject to the emacs-26.1 changes below.

Additionally, the emacs 26.1 release does not have the emacs-module.h too:
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/src?h=emacs-26.1
>
> I see only emacs-module.h.in in there.
>
>  It's possible emacs-module.h.in has some macros used by autotools now.
So this might be a change in 26.1 . I cant update my example for 26.1 just
yet. So hopefully someone else knows.

The simplest solution is check the 26.1 tarball and see if it exists there,
and just manually copy and and it to your projects VC. this requires
copyright compliance. It's really the only reason I used the wget method
anyway.

* Re: Where do I find the emacs-module.h after make install?
@ 2018-06-21 15:50     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-06-21 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2018 10:58:15 -0400
>
> @Eli Is this is bug?

Yes, I think so.  Please report a bug.

* Re: Where do I find the emacs-module.h after make install?
@ 2018-06-21 16:12       ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2018-06-21 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks. Done (https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=31929).