2015-02-23 0:24 GMT+01:00 Stefan Monnier : > > Now I am curious, I'll probably dive in the mailing list history to find > > out more about this motivation. > > I don't think there's much history about it in the mailing-list. > Using post-self-insert-hook has the advantage of being more modular than > a key-binding: you can make it do heredoc expansion in sh-script without > affecting whether it does automatic reindent (via electric-indent-mode) > or automatic pairing (via electric-pair-mode), or ... > Oh I see, too many modes abusing key rebinding have lead me to believe it was the idiom for this kind of behavior. > > >> > Another use-case, even if you never use here-strings, is that you > >> > want to enter a single <, but enter << instead. You would expect > >> > this mistake to be corrected with a single backspace, but it's not. > >> We could special case this, potentially, but at the same time `undo' is > >> your friend. > > I know, but for some reason I can't get the hang of using undo in the > flow > > of writing text. > > It's definitely more intrusive, admittedly. I'd welcome a patch which > makes backspace actually undo the expansion. > With your solution of requiring an additional (printed) character after the <, I think accidental expansion would get much rarer already. > > > This is a good idea, but in this case you also need to include < < - > > as a trigger. > > Indeed, and probably < < ' as well. > By the way, the bug report is sent now, sorry for the delay, I was without an internet connection for the week-end. Thibaut