Oops, I didn't think this had posted the first time, sorry for the double post. On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 11:57 AM, Paddy Mullen wrote: > Hello, > > I'm having a very hard time understanding the documentation for > display-buffer-alist. emacs24 behaves differently than emacs23. Here is > the behaviour that I am used to and would like to return to. > > Emacs 23: > C-x C-f (find-file) > the file that I select opens in the current window > > > Emacs 24: > C-x C-f (find-file) > the file that I select opens in another window > > the window that the file will open in, in emacs 24 is unpredictable, > making it very difficult to organize a multiple window session. > > Could someone please post the setq command to get emacs 24 to behave the > way I am used to. > > something along the lines of > > (setq display-buffer-alist '(??????)) > > all the other examples that I have seen use functions like setcar, setcdr > which don't help me since my display-buffer-alist is nil. > > > Thanks, > Paddy >