thank you, that was exactly the line that I was looking for. I wasn't thinking elisp code as in an extension module, more along the lines of elisp code that I would enter into my .emacs . Especially for something like display-buffer-alist I really dislike the M-x customize functionality On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 3:22 AM, martin rudalics wrote: > > Thanks for the help. The problem was with display-buffer-for-wide-** > screen.el > > > > http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-**bin/wiki/download/display-** > buffer-for-wide-screen.el > > > > Once I removed that from my .emacs, things worked fine. > > What precisely failed? I didn't look at it but it hooks in at a lower > level (namely that of `display-buffer-function') so it should still work > with Emacs 24. > > > > I would still like to see a proper example of elisp code setting the > > display-buffer-alist. > > Elisp code should not do that. `display-buffer-alist' is reserved for > users as in > > (customize-set-variable > 'display-buffer-alist '((".*" . (display-buffer-same-window . nil)))) > > Unfortunately, so far there's no common agreement on what the ALIST > argument of `display-buffer-same-window' is supposed to accomplish. > > martin >