Hello, I'm having a very hard time understanding the documentation for display-buffer-alist. emacs24 behaves differently than emacs23. Here is the behaviour that I am used to and would like to return to. Emacs 23: C-x C-f (find-file) the file that I select opens in the current window Emacs 24: C-x C-f (find-file) the file that I select opens in another window the window that the file will open in, in emacs 24 is unpredictable, making it very difficult to organize a multiple window session. Could someone please post the setq command to get emacs 24 to behave the way I am used to. something along the lines of (setq display-buffer-alist '(??????)) all the other examples that I have seen use functions like setcar, setcdr which don't help me since my display-buffer-alist is nil. Thanks, Paddy