Other projects of the same kind: Guile-WM (Guile scheme) ------------------------------------- From the README: "Guile-WM is a framework for creating an X window manager (or any other X application, really) and a set of useful modules designed for that purpose. [...] Guile-WM relies /heavily/ on its user init file. In fact, it won't do anything on its own without one. The intention is to provide something 100% configurable." Link: https://github.com/mwitmer/guile-wm # The Deep Space Window Manager (Common Lisp) From the README: "DSWM is a fork of StumpWM, so have most of all features, which have StumpWM, but it designed for better usability and better integration with emacs." Link: https://github.com/dss-project/dswm You can also read a discussion about those here: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8160968 2014-08-09 1:04 GMT+02:00 Feng Shu : > John Yates writes: > > > Personally I regularly have the opposite itch: wanting to replace > > emacs's frustrating window management with an external tiling WM (in > > my case awesome). > > I use stumpwm, which is like emacs. > > > > > /john > > > > On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 4:35 PM, Matthew Plant > > wrote: > > > > I was curious about what people on this list thought about > > application > > embedding in Emacs. To a degree this is already supported with > > ansi > > term, but this obviously doesn't extend to GUI applications. For > > those > > of you familiar with Plan 9, think of how programs use the window > > the > > terminal they're launched in; embedding GUI apps in Emacs would > > force > > the program to run in a window owned by Emacs and fitted into a > > buffer. > > > > The reason why I bring this up is because it would be relatively > > easy to > > do in a way that's not very platform agnostic. It's really easy to > > replace the X libarary (forgive me for not using proper > > nomenclature; > > it'd lengthen this email tenfold) window creation functions with > > one > > that extends contol over the window. The degree of integration can > > be > > controlled by the number of replaced functions. If drawn text > > wants to > > be handled specially, those functions would be replaced. Some > > method can > > be specified for switching between emacs and the application > > controlling > > user input. > > > > This has some obvious advantages; for one, Emacs automatically > > subsumes > > all editors, including more WYSIWYG editors. Not only that, but > > Emacs > > essentially becomes a window manager, which I personally would > > love. Because some apps, particular web browsers, do not always > > require > > special handling of the keyboard, switching between regular Emacs > > buffers and the special app buffers would be generally seamless. I > > could > > imagine myself typing away in one Emacs buffer, momentarily moving > > to > > the mouse to click throught some online doxygen in my web browser > > in the > > buffer to the right. > > > > There are also a lot of disadvantages to this. For one, the > > applications > > would be pretty buggy without some effort to re-implement X > > functions. Also, my co-worker points out that this would be > > incongrous > > with the current capabilities of Emacs, one of which is the easy > > transfer of text betwixt buffers. Getting these two features to > > work > > harmoniously would be kind of difficult; lots of wrappers to > > X/Gnome/whatever text writing functions would have to be made. > > However, > > copy and paste would work (I'm guessing) out of the box. > > > > I suppose it all boils down to what people want with the future of > > Emacs. Personally, I would love to turn on my computer and have > > Emacs be > > there every step of the way. I genuinely think that Emacs is a > > great > > full interface to an OS. It is not a full OS however and never > > should > > be, which is why I like this idea as an in-between. > > > > -M > > -- > > >