2017-11-12 9:56 GMT+01:00 Angelo Graziosi : > Fabrice Popineau wrote: > > > > Hmm ... besides copying the whole Emacs directory on an usb stick, what > else do I > > need to do in order to use emacs from this stick on another computer ? > > ..an app to be really portable cannot write the host machine, so .emacs.d > should go on the device where the portable app is installed. And the more Windows compliant the app will be, the less portable it will become. > Obviously it cannot write the registry, what PortableApps do... > When does Emacs write the registry ? > > maybe starting Emacs with this bat is sufficient: > > cat E:/Emacs_portable/bin/runemacs_portable.bat > set HOME=%~dp0..\HOME > "%~dp0runemacs.exe" %* > > Setting HOME is all that is needed. I even change PATH and all my environment from init.el. Fabrice